Q. I am a smoker and have been coughing for longer period. Will it be chronic bronchitis?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Published on Oct 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2019

I am 23 years female. For about three years or so, I have been coughing up phlegm consistently. It has almost become a routine. When I consulted an ENT doctor, they did not see anything wrong and just said that my nostrils look little swollen, so he prescribed me Flonase. I am still coughing and spitting. The color of the phlegm is generally white, but sometimes it is slightly yellow. I need to know, should I consult a pulmonologist? I fear that I may have chronic bronchitis since I have been smoking from the age of 15.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

You said that you smoke since, from the age of 15, so the diagnosis goes more in favor of chronic bronchitis. The symptoms are also typical of chronic bronchitis.

But you have not mentioned any associated allergic symptoms like running nose or frequent sneezing as it suggests bronchial asthma.

The best test to differentiate between both is to do a spirometry test, also called PFT (pulmonary function test). It will give a definitive final diagnosis.

Regarding treatment, if it is bronchitis, the first and most important thing is to quit smoking. If it is asthma, then you need to take a controller inhaler regularly.

Also, you should get done with your chest x-ray. I hope after reading this, you will take the initiative for quitting smoking and quit it ultimately.

Smoking.

Chest x-ray PA (posetroanterior) view. Spirometry PFT (pulmonary function test).

COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).

Stop smoking.
start with inhalers.

| 

Which all conditions cause persistent cough with phlegm?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having persistent cough with phlegm for the last four months. I also have fatigue. I am currently taking Cymbalta, Abilify, Topamax, Baclofen, Lorazepam and Trazodone. Please help.  Read Full »

I get red eyes, headache, and chest pain because of cigarette smoke. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, Actually, I am afraid of the high sensitiveness of my nose. My head hurts, eyes become red, have difficulty in breathing, pain in the chest. All these problems I get because of only cigarette smoke. I get a problem if anyone smokes at 5 to 10 m distance. So, please give me good advice...  Read Full »

I was smoking for last 30 years and left it now. Kindly explain the reports.

Query: Hello doctor,I was smoking for last 30 years. I left it 50 days ago. My weight is 78 kg. Height is 5 feet 7 inches. Currently, I am taking Emlong 5 twice daily.  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now