Q. Why do I have itching in my elbows and lower part of both the legs?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

I am suffering from itching in elbows and lower part of both the legs for the last two to three weeks. I have been applying Clonate ointment (Clobetasol 0.05%), but it is spreading to other areas. Please suggest an ointment and antibiotic for quick relief. In the past, I have used Clonate ointment for injury and skin infection in finger. I am currently using Boroline cream.

#

It could be a fungal infection. Steroids are never used in fungal infection. Avoid self-medications as it may worsen the lesion. Kindly attach a clinical picture so that I can assess the infection and arrive at a definitive diagnosis.

Thank you for your reply.

I am having itching in both elbows and near ankles. I have patches and continuous, severe burning sensations with itching. Please help me out.

#

According to your picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), it is eczematous dermatitis (lichen simplex chronicus).

I suggest you the following treatment.

1. Apply liquid paraffin lotion in the daytime for 20 days.

2. Apply Venusia Max cream or Cetaphil moisturizing cream or Lactocalamine lotion immediately after bath. Use lotion or cream two to three times daily for 20 days.

3. Ointment Topisal 6% (Clobetasol 0.05% and Salicylic acid 6%) at night for 15 days.

4. Use Azac soap (Azelaic acid) to bathe for one month.

5. Tablet Teczine 5 mg (Levocetirizine 5 mg) once at night after food for seven days.

I suggest you take care of the following.

1. Avoid scratching and rubbing of lesions.

2. Maintain proper hygiene.

3. Avoid occlusion or friction with the infection.

One week has passed, but my itching is still there in my elbows and ankles. Patches are there; however, they are almost dry. Can you please let me know if I should continue the tablets and Venusia Max cream?

#

I suggest you apply Liquid paraffin lotion in the daytime for 15 days and use Cetaphil cream. Also, continue to moisturize skin immediately after bath.

Please update me on what medications you used for one week. Is it only tablet Teczine M and Venusia Max cream? Have you not taken the other drugs I suggested?

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I have taken tablet Teczine M 5 mg and applied Venusia Max cream. Can you suggest an additional tablet for providing fast relief from itching and quick removal of my patches?

#

I suggest the following:

1. Tablet Loratadine 10 mg after breakfast for 10 days.

2. Use Azac soap to bathe for one month.

3. Apply Cetaphil cream two to three times daily for 10 days.

4. Apply Mupirocin ointment at daytime for 10 days.

5. Apply Miconazole cream at night for 10 days.

6. Avoid scratching and rubbing the lesion.

My both legs are swollen. Is it a side effect of taking medication for long-time?

#

Kindly attach a clinical picture to assess the lesions so I can guide you accordingly. Stop taking self medications.

|