Q. Why are there generalized itching and cherry color spots on chest and back?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

I am 38 years old and a little obese. I have noticed two or three cherry color spots on my chest and back. Are they something to be worried about? I hope it is not a sign of some serious disease. Secondly, I am experiencing some generalized itching on my body. Last year same time of the year, I felt the same. Is it due to winter and dry skin? I am putting coconut oil and it gets better and also having Allegra 180.

#

I have gone through your case. These red spots are called cherry angioma and these are nothing to worry. They are just like black moles which normally do occur on our skin. These are due to swelling of the blood vessel. In winter we take bath with hot water which makes our skin more dry by evaporating water from our skin. Heaters do the same. As a result, the skin becomes drier. Use mild to moderate hot water, coconut oil or liquid paraffin both are fine. Or mix one teaspoon of Betamethasone lotion with two tablespoons of olive oil and apply two times a day for five days only. Take Allegra for five days only. However, if other family members are also having an itch then it is not due to winter issue.

No one in the family has an itch. If I put coconut oil, it is better. Can I take Allegra for long or it has side effects?

#

That is good. If no one in the family has an itching issue. Yes, every medicine including Allegra has side effects. The important one is that if you take it for long period then it will not be effective. Take it when required or when itching becomes too much.

|