Itching or pruritus is the irritating sensation that you have, which relieves on scratching. Some common conditions that cause itching are dry skin, food allergy, end-stage kidney disease, candidiasis, cirrhosis, contact dermatitis, hives, skin rashes, impetigo, body or head lice.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have a rash and it looks like a bite mark. What is this?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a rash that looks like a bite at different body parts. Please help.   Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Goud B

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. From the picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), it looks like your rashes are allergic. You can use OTC (over-the-counter) anti-allergic cream like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine hydrochloride 2%) or similar and assess. It w...  Read Full »

I have thick skin pads, redness, and pain when out in sunlight. What is it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have thick skin pads on my cheeks, and the symptoms have all the hallmarks of rosacea, redness, itchiness, pain in sunlight, blushing, etc. I was becoming very self-conscious of my face and wondered if I could do anything to reduce the symptoms. It started almost 10 to 15 years ago, but...  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Yes, it seems to be a manifestation of rosacea. Please send good quality photographs taken in natural light to confirm the diagnosis and to provide you the proper treatment.   Read Full »

What could be the reason for constant itching and pimple-type marks on the thighs?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had itching in my body (not constantly) but frequent itching for the last one month. There is a constant itching in my chest, and also, there have been very small, red pimple-type marks on my thighs. What could be the reason, and is there any cure for it?  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. It can be scabies, a condition caused by a mite. Naked eyes cannot see the mite, but only under the microscope. Symptoms include intense itching, which worsens at night, and bumps are seen all over but more prominent between fingers, ...  Read Full »

How to cure itching all over the body that occurs mostly at night?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20-year-old male, and I measure 1.75 m tall and weigh 73 kg. I have recently experienced itching all over my body for roughly three days now. I do not have any allergies before. My skin looks normal, without any rash or bumps. The itching occurs most at night but also occurs irreg...  Read Full »

Dr. Snehal Laul

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query, and I can understand your concern. I would like to know the answers to the following questions in detail to suggest you a proper treatment. 1) Do you have any history of scabies or mite allergies? 2) Are the web spaces of the fingers...  Read Full »

What medicines should I take to calm the itching in my butt area caused by herpes infection?

Query: Hello doctor,I think I am in the healing phase of herpes infection. I have been having intense itchy in my butt area for the past two weeks. This itching gave me a lot of discomfort, and I could not even sleep as it happens more at night. I took two doses back to back since I have had two outbreaks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

Answer: Hello,Welcome to, you can take medicines to reduce your itching. But before that, I would like to know if you have any medical conditions causing repeated bouts of herpes.Thanks.  Read Full »

My son had skin rashes two months ago in his butt with itching and history of allergy. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7-year-old son is healthy, but he had skin rashes two months ago in his butt. I went to the doctor. He took a skin biopsy and a blood test. He said that it was a viral infection, and there was no treatment for that. Still, it did not go away. It comes and goes. Should I be worried abo...  Read Full »

Dr. Snehal Laul

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Is the lesion itchy? Does he have any fever? Did he scratch and rub the lesions excessively? Is that spreading? Does he have any history of atopy or allergies? Answer the questions for details.  Read Full »

Kindly help me get rid of the infection in my elbow that is itching and bleeding on scratching.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a parasitic infection in my elbow for the past four weeks. It is itching a lot. And when I scratch, it is bleeding. I could see a worm moving in my elbow. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Meena

Answer: Hi,Welcome to can understand your concern. But I need some more details about it to help you better. Kindly share your symptoms, duration, and a clinical picture of your lesion.Would you please revert with more details? Regards.  Read Full »

What are the best medicines to treat scabies?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 20 months old and weighs 15 kg. She is a very active child. She was suffering from severe itching and rashes. The doctor diagnosed her with scabies. He prescribed HH mite cream for three days, and Atarax syrup 2.5 ml thrice a day. On the rash, he asked us to apply Flutivate...  Read Full »

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Please continue the Atarax syrup (Hydroxyzine) only if there is itching. You can repeat HH mite cream (Permethrin) if itching is significant. It has to be applied to the whole body below the neck. Avoid the head, face, neck, anal and vaginal areas. Also, avoid regio...  Read Full »

How to know if my 6-year-old child has chickenpox?

Query: Hello doctor, My 6-year-old child is having itchy skin rashes. How to know if it is chickenpox? Thanks.  Read Full »

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Answer: Hello,Welcome to understand your concern.It is one of the common viral infections. There is nothing to worry about.Chickenpox usually starts on the chest, back, trunk, face, mouth and then spreads to the legs, including the groin, private areas, and arm. It starts from the center and r...  Read Full »

How to get rid of itchy groin?

Query: Hello doctor, I have itchy boils on the scrotum and groin areas. During the day, I feel too itchy, and due to the itching, I have developed rashes which are painful. When I try to break them, it starts to bleed. Sometimes, I have the itchiness during the night as well. I have attached an image for y...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query and seen your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It does look like a fungal infection. Due to the application of steroid-based products, the clinical picture has been altered. The use of a steroid-based product for a fun...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.