Q. Is it safe to use Xolair for urticaria?

Dr. Chaitra Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2020

I have been suffering from preliminary chronic urticaria for unknown causes for the last 13 years. It is not responding to antihistamine treatment for the past six years. Sometimes, it gets as severe as I have to use Corticosterone injection (Diprofos). All blood analysis showed no cause. Dermatologist started to recommend immunity treatment such as Arpimune, which is better but very slow. Finally an immunity and allergy doctor recommended Xolair (Omalizumab) for six months. Shall I use it?

#

I understand your concern.

Chronic idiopathic urticaria is a type of urticaria (wheals). It is a disturbing illness and difficult to manage.

Most urticaria patients benefit from prolonged antihistamines and some may require immune suppressing drugs like Cyclosporine to control urticaria, which were also given to you.

When the relief is not satisfactory from all these options, the physicians opt for a biologic medicine called Omalizumab. This medicine prevents the release of urticaria causing molecules in your body.

It is considered safe and has proven efficacy in appropriate subjects. It will be given under a physician's supervision and side effects will be monitored.

It has helped many patients to attain a longer symptom free periods. You can go ahead comfortably with the treatment.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|