Q. We went for a regular check up and reports suggest leukemia. Can you help?

Answered by Dr. Parth R Goswami and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia or Chronic Leukemia? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I went to the hospital for my father's normal check-up. He is 61 years old. His report looks like this: WBC 43000, platelets 1.2 L, and lymphocytes 88 %. To get it cross-checked, we went to another lab the next day and here are the counts: WBC: 38000 (Reduced by 5000), platelets 1.5 L (increased by 30000) and lymphocytes 84 % (decreased by 4 %). I am assuming that this is a good sign where WBC count has gone down by 5000 in one single day and platelet count has gone up by 30000. The doctor has recommended chronic lymphocytic leukemia which is kind of scary. This will take three days to come. My father is physically active and no medical conditions. He works out as well and walks a lot. I have seen him going up and down the stairs (fifth floor) twice or thrice a day and he does not feel any weakness. No smoking or drinking habits. He is a pure vegetarian. No fever or pain. We went for a regular check-up just like that and that is when this report came up. No history of any such disease in his family tree. Other reports are fine. Doctors did not find any alarming symptoms. He had gone through angioplasty eight years ago and since then he is visiting his cardiologist every six months but never got his blood checked. Can you please help?