Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia

I have been diagnosed with monoclonal B cell lymphocytosis. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 46 years old. I have been diagnosed with monoclonal B cell lymphocytosis. B-cell markers CD19 is 36 %, Cd 20 is 33 %, and CD 22 is 3%. Dual expression Cd19/Cd5 is 31 %, Cd19/Cd23 is 31%, Cd19/Cd10 1 %. Blood was lymphoid gated. B-cell population coexpresses CD 45, 5, 19, 23, 20 d...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows, 1. Going through the markers and the count, a diagnosis of MBL (monoclonal B-cell lymphocytosis) can be thought of. 2. Absolute counts are only mildly increased. Need to watch for rising counts and any lymph nodes in t...  Read Full »

What does chronically elevated lymphocytes count mean?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past five years, my absolute lymphocytes have been 4.2 to 4.9 range, never going over 5 (I have had multiple CBC's and every single one of my absolute lymphocytes is elevated). However, they have been continually elevated to the point that I was recently sent to a hematologist...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have any type of leukemia especially CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) or MBL (monoclonal B-cell lymphocytosis) then it could have been reflected in the peripheral smear examination report or in flow cytometry investigation. Your flow cytometry report is negati...  Read Full »

Does my blood report indicate CLL?

Query: Hello doctor, Should I think about going to a hematologist? The last few years of my CBC shows WBC 8.4, 9.6, 13.9, 11.3, 11.3, 10.5, 8.3, 12.3, lymph (abs) 3.2, 4.4, 3.9, 4.0, 3.8, 3.6, 3.9, platelets 331, 400, 380, 453, 428, 407, 459, 389, neutrophils (abs) 5.8, 8.5, 6.3, 6.4, 5.8, 3.9, 7.6, eosino...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not find any significant abnormality in the report. At one stage your lymphocytes were high that is 4.4. But it fluctuates as per reports and not raised to more than 4.5 at any time (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If absolute lymphocytes remain...  Read Full »

Are there any side effects in getting a bone marrow test?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother's age is 60 years, and six months back her WBC count was 26000. She got admitted for two days and was discharged, at that time her WBC count came to 9000. Now from the last month, she was feeling tired, so we checked the WBC count, and it was 14,000. We went to the general p...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The report shows high total count and premature WBC cells up to 13 to 14 %. It seems to be a leukemoid reaction like condition. Myeloid proliferation is present, but it does not seem to ...  Read Full »

Why is my WBC count high?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 66 year old female. I am suffering from hypertension and diabetes since 20 years. I have got an implemented stent a month ago. I am taking medicines for the all above I have mentioned. In my recent blood count, my WBC is 70000. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows. The white blood cell - WBC count is very high and so there is a need to look into complete report, particularly differential count. If neutrophils are high, possibly infection. However, if patient's physical condition is good...  Read Full »

We went for a regular check up and reports suggest leukemia. Can you help?

Query: Hello doctor,I went to the hospital for my father's normal check-up. He is 61 years old. His report looks like this: WBC 43000, platelets 1.2 L, and lymphocytes 88 %. To get it cross-checked, we went to another lab the next day and here are the counts: WBC: 38000 (Reduced by 5000), platelets 1.5 L (...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father has absolute lymphocytosis. Repeat CBC (complete blood count) after one week along with complete peripheral smear examination to look for abnormal malignant cells like blasts. If the count does not come down, then investigate with flow cytometry examina...  Read Full »

Percentage of B cells is high. Is it leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor,Here are my immunohistochemical results of peripheral blood: Absolute lymphocyte count 5812/uL reference (1000-3300) with CD19 (B cells) 62% reference (3-20%), CD45 positive, CD10 positive, and CD5 negative. How do we know it is leukemia or not? Doctors in our town cannot interpret the ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At the age 55 years, if persistent lymphocytosis is seen, then CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) should be ruled out. For that, monoclonality should be confirmed by flow cytometry investigation and need bone marrow study apart from peripheral smear examination repor...  Read Full »

After the first chemotherapy session for CLL, my dad has a persistent fever. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to enquire about my dad's health. He is 82 years old and has been having chronic lymphocytic leukemia for the past seven years. He had no symptoms other than the high blood cell count and was doing regular checkups every six months. Recently, his hemoglobin level dropped a...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to the icliniq.com. You have mentioned in the history that the patient is having chronic lymphocytic leukemia. And the total count is high, as per history. So, chronic lymphocytic leukemia seems to be in the aggressive stage. Blood culture and other scan reports are normal as per hist...  Read Full »