Q. My throat hurts after I smoked for the first time. Why?

Answered by Dr. Vinay S Bhat and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Cigarette Smoking or Throat Irritation? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: My throat hurts after I smoked for the first time.  Why?

Dr. Vinay S Bhat
MBBS., MS (ENT
Otolaryngology (E.N.T

Welcome to iclinic.com.

• Since your throat is not used to the smoke, which contains a large number of chemicals, it got injured and started to pain. Chronic smokers will not experience pain due to a permanent change in the cells of the throat, which resist smoke-induced injury. Your throat will recover in a few days.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What could be the reason for my constant throat irritation?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering with some irritation in my throat for the past one and a half year. I am just fed up nowadays. Also, the fear of cancer destroying me. After taking different types of antibiotics from different doctors, lastly, I took Loratadine and Dexit (Flupentixol + Melitracen) f...  Read Full »
Dr. Deepak Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) as well as read your complete history. Do not worry. I will definitely help you. On looking your throat, it seems that you are having chronic allergic throat problem. Both side tonsils are also en...  Read Full »

What is third-hand smoke?
Query: Hi doctor, My question is about third-hand smoke. My husband and I do smoke and we are trying to quit. My daughter-in-law is so concerned about third-hand smoke. We are no longer allowed to see our grandchildren until we have completely quit smoking. We only smoke outside and are down to five cigare...  Read Full »
Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Third-hand smoke is a newly postulated concept of toxic compounds being formed due to a reaction between nicotine and environmental components forming nitrosamines which are considered as potential carcinogens. To be crisp and specific first hand is smoker, second ha...  Read Full »

Sepsis - Causes|Symptoms|Risk Factors|Diagnoses|Treatments|Prevention
Sepsis is a medical emergency, as it causes multiple organ failure. When the body's response to infection in the blood s...  Read more »
I have on and off acid reflux as well as mild dysphagia. Is this esophageal cancer?
Hello doctor,I am a 26-year-old male. I have been experiencing on and off acid reflux for a few weeks as well as mild dy...  Read more »
There is a hard lump under the nipple. I am afraid of breast cancer. How to proceed further?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. I found a quarter-sized hard nonmobile lump under my nipple a day ago. Is that an...  Read more »