Q. Does a cirrhosis patient require medicines to increase platelet count and Hb?

Published on Jul 30, 2018

I am a liver cirrhosis patient. My platelet count is 72,000 and hemoglobin is 10. Everything else including protein and albumin are normal. The doctor is giving Ricovir 300, Pantosec 40, Udliv 150, Vitamin A to Z daily and Lasilactone 50 mg on alternate days. But, he is not giving any medicine to increase platelet count and for reduced hemoglobin. Is it alright or is that required?

Hematology Pathology
#

In liver cirrhosis, chronic fibrosis occurs and such fibrotic tissue obstructs portal blood flow and so, because of portal hypertension splenomegaly can occur. An enlarged spleen traps platelet count and so your platelet count is low.

With an improvement of cirrhosis by medication and avoidance of alcohol and through a healthy lifestyle, your platelet count can increase with time. But if cirrhosis worsens, then the condition might reverse.

You have been prescribed antiviral medication as well. So, hepatitis B or C might be associated. In hepatitis, bone marrow can be suppressed and there can be pancytopenia in which hemoglobin, WBC count, and platelet all three get reduced. So, check your WBC count as well.

For low platelet, you need only monitoring and a healthy lifestyle. For low hemoglobin, check your serum ferritin and TIBC (total iron-binding capacity) level and peripheral smear examination to give more comment on that.

If any unusual bleeding starts, then platelet needs to be transfused.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Does normal diet cause edema in a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is suffering from liver cirrhosis. Will the liver remain enlarged? Or do come back to its normal size after some time? Does having a normal diet develop edema?  Read Full »

What is the cause for low platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, God blessed me with a baby boy before three months. This is my second child. I faced many problems such as diabetes, before two years back. I had low platelet counts before six months when I took a test for CBC. Three days before delivery, my platelet count was 44000 per microliter of bl...  Read Full »

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?

Query: Hello doctor, Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it ...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now