Cirrhosis

How long does it take for liver enzymes to normalize?

Query: Hi doctor, My ALT 384, AST 144, glutamyl 151, alkaline 131, albumin 45, lipase 24, amylase 68, CRP 7.7 and bilirubin normal. I have stopped drinking alcohol. How long will it take to normalize other enzyme levels? What are the risks I have from the above report?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Enzyme levels are abnormal secondary to hepatic injury. Liver is an excellent organ and recovers very fast. As the bilirubin is normal, I would not expect any major injury. Not only alcohol, you need to be careful about vari...  Read Full »

Why is my vitamin B12 level over 1000?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 year old. I am taking tablet Cymbalta 60 mg and tablet Citalopram 10 mg daily for depression and anxiety. Recently, I got a blood test for vitamin B12 and the results turned out to be pretty high at 1344 pg/mL. I am aware that the normal range of vitamin B12 is 200-900 pg/mL. My...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query my opinion is as follows. Increased vitamin B12 is worrisome. It is a water-soluble vitamin. It never increase unless there is some amount of hepatic damage or certain cancers. I strongly urge you to get a liver function test. Both Cymbalta (Duloxet...  Read Full »

Apart from Levodopa, what other treatment options are there for Parkinsons's?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel extreme fatigue in the morning. I have tremor and right leg tingling. I am experiencing brain fog, Parkinson like symptoms but I did not feel any improvement with Levodopa. My manganese levels are high. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to assure you that do not worry as everything is going to be fine soon. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns.  Read Full »

How to improve the kidney function of a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is suffering from liver cirrhosis as reported by the doctors. His kidneys are also damaged and due to constipation brain is also getting affected. Urine is not passing. He is unconscious. We tried dialysis twice but there are no signs of improvement as per the doctors here. I j...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As described in the case summary, the patient's condition is critical (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Decompensated cirrhosis is an irreversible disease, and it seems the patient has all the complications of the disease. The optimum medical manageme...  Read Full »

I am not an alcoholic, but my liver is fatty. Is it NAFLD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 5'2"and weight is 62 kg. Today through USG I came to know that my liver is fatty (grade 1 diffuse fatty liver). I am very much worried and I do not drink alcohol. I have been taking Omega-3, protein powder and multivitamin supplements for the last one...  Read Full »

Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. But, you need to be worked up. Get liver function tests, HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) and HCV (hepatitis C virus) antibody test done. If all the above tests come normal, then nothing to worry, but do not ignore it. Do ...  Read Full »

Does normal diet cause edema in a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is suffering from liver cirrhosis. Will the liver remain enlarged? Or do come back to its normal size after some time? Does having a normal diet develop edema?  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the details posted. Edema in cirrhosis patients is mainly due to low oncotic pressure in blood vessels because of low albumin. Cirrhosis compromise the synthetic function of the liver and so albumin production gets decreased. It is the albumin, which...  Read Full »

Kindly guide us with the treatment for my mom's liver disease.

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is 70 years old. She has chronic liver disease, cirrhosis, portal hypertension and ascites. Her creatinine is 3. She also has type 2 diabetes. We were informed by her doctor that her liver is not producing albumin and her bilirubin level is very high. Please guide us.  Read Full »

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your mom's profile suggests very advanced stage of liver disease (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She has advanced cirrhosis of liver, which is complicated by the formation of portal hypertension and fluid abdomen. The presence of kidney injury adds to th...  Read Full »

What is the significance of an elevated CA-19 tumor marker?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question regarding the significance of an elevated CA-19 tumor marker. I recently had one and that came back as 43 (per laboratory should have been under 34). I do not have cancer and I am wondering what else could cause this elevation? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. CA 19-9 (cancer antigen) is a tumor marker, but it can be elevated in healthy individual. It can be elevated in benign conditions like pancreatitis, cirrhosis, thyroid disease and inflammatory bowel disease. It can be elevated in various gastrointestinal malignancies like...  Read Full »

I had fatty liver.Do I have chances of developing cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had fatty liver (due to being overweight: BMI - 28.1) 3 years ago. I do not consume alcohol. At that time the enzymes were 3-4 times elevated and had signs of fat in liver. Then I lost weight and my liver enzyme levels improved. In this last one year all my liver enzymes are normal. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query and attachments in detail. (attachments removed to protect patient identity) Please find my observations below. Having gone through your reports in detail, cirrhosis is unlikely as your most recent ultrasound done on 1st December 2014 sho...  Read Full »

I have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Is light beer bad for my liver?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease last year. My liver enzymes are very high. I used to drink champagne, wine, and other hard liquor, a few times a week. But now, I switched to light beer. Is it bad for my liver?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Excessive alcohol, that is, more than 12 g a day, is certainly dangerous and should be strictly avoided. Regarding mild to moderate consumption, data is inadequate at this moment. But, recommendations are to strictly avoid all alcohol consumption because it can damage...  Read Full »