Cochlear Implant

Other than cochlear implant, is there any other way to treat hearing loss in a kid?

Query: Hi doctor, My niece is 4 years old now. A year back we realized that she was not catching up how to speak and consulted an ENT doctor. Doctor performed few tests like BERA, OAE and hearing assessment. Then he confirmed that my niece is suffering from profound hearing loss. Doctor suggested hearing a...  Read Full »

Dr. Pradeep V R

Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly explains about the problems. I clearly understand your concern and worries. You are worried about the cosmetic appearance but you are missing about the importance of normal speech and hearing in life. Alread...  Read Full »

My premature baby has failed his hearing test. What to do next?

Query: Hello doctor,I am writing regarding the newborn screening of my baby. He was prematurely born at 29 weeks and spent 40 days in NICU. During his stay, we tested his hearing via OAE method. At first, both the ears did not respond and in the second screening, the left ear was perfect. But, there was ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the files (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The BERA (brainstem evoked response audiometry) report shows a profound hearing loss in the right ear. OAE (otoacoustic emissions) shows an absence of OAE in the right which means the inne...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options in case of SNHL?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male. I am suffering from a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. So, I want to make my hearing normal again. I believe that a solution exists. Let me know what can be done to improve hearing. I have been having this issue since a long time, but I did not take pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Family Physician, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I can see from your audiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have a moderate high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL), that too from a long time as you mentioned. In case of sensorineural hearing loss, we have these options of treatm...  Read Full »

Which is better for a 15 months old baby, simultaneous or sequential cochlear implant?

Query: Hello doctor, My niece is 15 months old, and we found that she was not reacting to sound. So, we consulted a doctor, who confirmed in the report that she has profound hearing loss in both ears. The doctor suggested cochlear implant, and we decided that we will go for the cochlear implant. But, the p...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bilateral cochlear implant at the age of 15 months is not at all a good idea.  The kid is too small, and size of the internal ear, including cochlea, will increase as the kid grows. So, go for unilateral first. Yes, the scar will be there, but you can opt for aestheti...  Read Full »

Please help with my father's hearing loss.

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been suffering from hearing loss due to Amikacin injection. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is the cause for the hearing loss confirmed? Have other causes been ruled out? How many doses of aminoglycosides have been taken? What is the severity of hearing loss? Does your father have any tinnitus or reeling sensation? What is the report of audiometry? Is your f...  Read Full »