Q. Please help with my father's hearing loss.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 11, 2020

My father has been suffering from hearing loss due to Amikacin injection. Please help.

#

• Is the cause for the hearing loss confirmed? Have other causes been ruled out?
  • How many doses of aminoglycosides have been taken? What is the severity of hearing loss?
  • Does your father have any tinnitus or reeling sensation? What is the report of audiometry?
  • Is your father able to understand and discriminate speech?
  • Aminoglycoside induced ototoxicity is due to the damage of the hair cells in the inner ear. Our ear has got three compartments outer, middle and inner. Hence, if there is any damage that causes sensorineural deafness, then that is usually irreversible.
  • Aminoglycosides are well known for their potential to cause permanent ototoxicity. The risk increases with,
  1. Increased amount of the drug in the body.
  2. Longer the drug is in the body.
  3. Duration of time the drug is taken.
  4. Genetic causes as well.
  • But, with minimal exposure and doses it may be temporary and reverses with time as the drug clears from the body. Immediate withdrawal is what is to be done.
  • For severe and permanent damage, cochlear implants need to be implanted.
  • Before coming to confirmation of drug induced hearing loss, other causes also need to be ruled out.
  • Do send across any reports if already done or else confirm the presence of sensorineural hearing loss by pure tone audiometry and speech discrimination test.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Yes, Amikacin has been confirmed as the cause of hearing loss. My father had 28 Amikacin 500 mg injection. He feels like having tinnitus while using earphones. When my father had urine culture, the result came out as positive. So, the doctor prescribed Amikacin 500 mg injection. After some days, my father started complaining of hearing problem. We visited an ENT specialist and got it confirmed due to Amikacin injections. I have attached all the reports.

#

• The reports confirm (attachment removed to protect patient identity) bilateral sensorineural hearing loss and damage that might be explained due to Amikacin.
  • Sorry to tell you, but I should let you know that in most of the cases damage due to aminoglycosides is permanent.
  • The hearing aid trial can be tried initially and if response is minimal or absent, then cochlear implants might be required for correction of hearing loss.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|