Cold Sores

Why do I get recurrent cold sores?

Query: Hi doctor, I get cold sores about every 2 years over the past 15 years and they go through the five stages of healing which take about 10-14 days to heal. Over the past two years, I have got two cold sores that have not completely healed. One was before a year and the most recent one was in Febru...  Read Full »

Dr. Hari Pathave

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your information and photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can see there is swelling and some small pus-filled rash and small scars. If it is recurrent then there are some possibilities like herpes labialis, cyclic neutropenia, neutrophi...  Read Full »

I have a cold sore on lip. Is it due to herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a bad cold sore 8 weeks ago on my top lip and a bit of the skin above it. I used Zovirax externally 2 weeks course and Acyclovir 2 weeks course to treat it. The actual sore improved, the blister stopped weeping, the scab formed and flaked off within 3 weeks but the redness is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the current picture sent by you, it does not look like a cold sore as of now (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Also, I would advise to stop all ongoing treatment (including the Hydrocortisone) and just leave it alone for a week. Apply Dologel o...  Read Full »

Why do I get recurrent infected sores in lips?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a cold sore type infection in my mouth especially at lips. Same was occurred last year and again it repeated this year. And as on today it is the third time it is coming and curing within a period of 10 to 20 days. I want to add photographs but do not know how. Fu...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I have gone through your query, attached pictures, and your previous prescription. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These cold sores are of viral origin and it is called herpetic stomatitis. This has a high recurrence rat...  Read Full »

Will liquid lipsticks used by a cold sore infected person spread infection to others on sharing?

Query: Hi doctor, I was just wondering how long germs would live on in a liquid lipstick? Around five weeks ago I had a vomiting bug, most likely gastro. I went out on Saturday night and wore a liquid lipstick, and was sick on Sunday. Will these germs still be living in the liquid lipstick and make me sic...  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. There is exactly not much research done on how long bacteria or viruses could survive in a liquid lipstick. If you have had a gastrointestinal infection, and if your lipstick came in contact with your saliva, the microbes could have gone i...  Read Full »

Someone with a cold sore kissed my preemie baby. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor,Someone with a cold sore kissed my preemie baby, and she has been spitting her bottle out and crying what should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your baby seems to be on oxygen. You have not mentioned how old is the baby? For how long she has been in the hospital and are there any other problems with the baby. Or was she because she came into contact with a cold sore? Cold sore infection can sometimes lead to...  Read Full »

I have a cold sore and it is tingling after having Zovirax. What does the tingling mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cold sore, and I put Zovirax on, and a few hours later, it is tingly. My cold sore has blistered and fully formed is the tingly feeling meaning it is going away?  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history, and according to me, you are suffering from herpes virus infection. Most of the patients experience a tingling sensation before the appearance of blisters, but this is soon followed by painful ulceration. This lasts for 7 to 10 days...  Read Full »

Does use of Abreva cause blisters on the lip?

Query: Hello doctor, Last week I woke up with what appeared to be three to four tiny blisters on my upper left lip, outside of the mouth, not inside. I recently had a baby and have not left the house except to go to a dental appointment one week before developing these small blisters. I went to the doctor...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Meena

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. There can be other skin diseases which mimic HSV 1 infection on lips, but still, it is quite characteristic clinically, things which can sometimes look like are paederus dermatitis, hand foot, and mouth disease, but it is seen usually in children and blisters else...  Read Full »

Why do I get cold sores and rashes on the lining of my lips during periods?

Query: Hello doctor, Just wanted to know that from last two times, whenever I get my periods I get this cold sores and rashes like allergy happens on the linings of my lips. The last period date was 17th of the last month and I got this allergy and cold sores like blisters all over my lips and lining of m...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The allergic rashes if they are occurring specifically during menses and the only line the vaginal lips then the cause is unlikely to be menses per se but rather the material of the sanitary pads that you are using from day one. If you have changed the brand of the san...  Read Full »

Can cold sore in mouth indicate STD?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a cold sore appear on my mouth which I very rarely get (I have had them, although pretty rare since I was young). My partner also gets cold sores, however, he gets them quite frequently, and has been since he was young. When I saw mine appear a few days back, I was wondering if ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most of the cold sores are due to HSV-1. If it is associated with genital lesions then more chances of STDs are there. If only cold sores, it is due to less immunity. Giving oral may or may not be the cause. As prevention, you both check for STDs but they are unlikely to ...  Read Full »

Does a breakout of cold sores mean I am HIV positive?

Query: Hello doctor, I had pelvic pain for two to three days. My period was very spotty this month. I did not really have one and my period has always been regular. Could this be a sign and symptom of HIV? I am not pregnant. I get yearly lab tests and everything is normal. I got a yearly TB test at th...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern. An irregular period is not a sign of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection nor is a breakout of labial herpes (cold sores). An irregular period could be due to other reasons like stress, anxiety, hormonal imbalances of the thyroid, wei...  Read Full »