Q. What causes frequent colds?

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 14, 2019

1. Why we are getting frequent colds?

2. What can be done to reduce the amount of colds we are getting?

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

#

There are several causes of getting frequent cold. Some of them are as follows.

1. Increased sensitivity to allergens like pollens, dust, smoke, cold drinks, soft drinks, etc.

2. Reduced body immunity levels.

3. Getting infection like bacterial and viral.

4. Nasal deformities like nasal septam deviation

5. Eye disease related to the nasolacrimal duct.

These are some causes which associated with recurrent cold. To manage such kind of issues needs to protect themselves from allergens, which aggravate the cold. Avoid taking heavy meals, alcohol, heavy exercise, coitus, smoking, etc. Need to improve body immunity with the help of yoga and pranayama as well as a food supplement. Take medications like anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic to resolve the condition.

| 

Is Common Cold a Disease or an Allergy?

Article Overview: Is common cold a disease or an allergy? This article is regarding what common cold actually is and how you can relate and differentiate it from allergy. It also includes treatment modalities different from allergy. Read Article

Dr. Ruchika Singh
Allergy Specialist

What Is Common Cold? The common cold is a subtype of rhinitis (irritation or inflammation of nasal mucous membrane or nose) categorized as infectious rhinitis. As the name suggests, it is an infection and not an allergic reaction. What Are the Causes of Common Cold? More than hundreds of viruses ...  Read Article

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full »

What does my daughter's blood report suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, Our daughter aged 3 years 3 months has been frequently sick in her life. She was even hospitalized thrice and was on drips for stomach related diseases. Most often, her illnesses are related to stomach issues with symptoms typically including repeated vomiting, diarrhea and sometimes...  Read Full »