Q. Have allergy problems. I always have runny nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing and cannot breathe normally.

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

I have been having allergy problems for many years. I cannot breathe from my nose even if it is not blocked because I feel like I get less oxygen from my nose.

I also have asthma and as the seasons change my allergies react. I always have running nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing. This would last for a few days and sometimes a week but it goes away and I will be fine for a few months; but this is always building up and now I have sinus due to this.

The sinus was not that bad in the beginning but now the sinus has become worse. The mucus is very thick and its color gets yellow and green, my nose gets fully blocked and then my asthma gets worse and I cannot breathe from my mouth or nose. I have tried many allergy medications like singular, zyrtec, claritin, etc. They do not help.

So everytime I reach chronic conditions, my doctor always gives me some form of steroids and antibiotics to calm down the condition. It helps but provides only a temporary relief and I know it would come back within a next few months. I am looking for a better solution than a temporary relief.

Please give suggestion.

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I totally understand your concern regarding cure of allergies. Unfortunately, allergy of the nose cannot be totally cured, but definitely can be prevented. I would recommend the following:1. Get an allergy skin test done; so as to identify the allergen.  Avoiding the allergen is half the solution to the problem. The allergen source could be dust sources like carpets/bedding/mattresses. Avoid indoor plants/pollens. Pet fur/hair is also a common cause.

2. Get a CT scan of your sinuses. You could be having polyps in your sinuses; which may be contributing to your nose block. If so; your ENT doctor may advise you to undergo a surgery to open up your sinuses; to enable you to breathe better.

3. Taking a steroid spray regularly will give relief of your symptoms. You do need to take it for 2-3 months during the season. Taking an antihistamine like allegra with steroid sprays is beneficial in moderate allergic rhinitis.

4. The latest treatment is Immunotherapy; offered in some allergy centres. You can contact your local specialist for the same. It is a permanent cure; but it takes a long time for the immunity to develop. Hope the above helps. If you do have a scan, do share it with me and I can guide you further. Keep your allergies under control; as a neglected sneeze can lead to aggravation of your wheeze.

Consult an ENT otolaryngologist online for further help --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|