Q. What does my daughter's blood report suggest?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Our daughter aged 3 years 3 months has been frequently sick in her life. She was even hospitalized thrice and was on drips for stomach related diseases. Most often, her illnesses are related to stomach issues with symptoms typically including repeated vomiting, diarrhea and sometimes fever. Here in our place, the doctors are quick to prescribe a lot of medicine, often two antibiotics simultaneously. As I was concerned about all the medication that she has been on in the course of her life and about her general health and immunity, we decided to do a blood test the other day. Now, we would like to get some advice from a pediatrician on the results (attached), particularly in relation to her past consumption of medicine.

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

I have gone through your query and the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I understand your concern. Few children go through such situations due to sensitivity and low immunity levels, so you need not panic.
  • I would suggest you avoid antibiotics as much as possible. Antibiotics further weaken our body immunity. Though her body is sensitive, mostly her gut, the body takes some time to overcome this, but if we start antibiotics we are not allowing the body to fight back.
  • Give her a lot of prebiotics and probiotics to improve gut flora. Avoid antibiotics.
  • Give her a good diet, since her gastrointestinal system is delicate.
  •  Avoid outside food. Even if she falls ill give her supportive medications instead of starting antibiotics on day one.
  • Do not worry or panic; as per the reports, she is perfectly alright.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Thank you for your reply, which is already making us feel somewhat more at ease. We would like to know about SGPT (ALT) value in her report, which seems to be way above the normal range. What is this and why is the value so high above the normal? What about the high value of lymphocyte? What do the neutrophil values mean?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

#

• As I told you earlier, the reports are absolutely normal. A slight variation is common from person to person and we do not generally take it as abnormal if there is a slight variation.
  • The ALT- alanine aminotransferase is a liver enzymes, which is considered abnormal only when they go in three digits, that is above 100.
  • Lymphocytes are white blood cells, but we take the total leukocytes into consideration to rule out any infection. The total leukocytes are normal for your daughter, so do not worry or panic. Just relax and take care of your child. Everything is fine and she will be fine.

| 

Why am I having diarrhea following constipation for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a slightly upset stomach with bloating for the past four months. I thought I had a bug. Two weeks later, it seemed much better. However, my bowel movements did not return to normal. I had mostly constipation for about a month (even though my stomach did not feel as upset anym...  Read Full »

Natural Sources and Health Benefits of Probiotics

Article Overview: This article explains about probiotics, their health benefits, and natural sources of probiotics. Read Article

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Probiotics are naturally occurring bacteria in our gut. The word 'Probiotic' is derived from a Latin word 'Pro’ meaning ‘Promoting’ and the Greek word 'Biotic' which means 'Life.' Probiotics are live microorganisms in the gut that have several health benefits. Many kinds of ba...  Read Article

For how long can probiotics be taken in abdominal problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from health problems for the last 10 years, mainly abdominal problem (excessive gas) and mood swings. Actually, I had taken two terms of nine months Rifampicin. After that, the digestion problem and mood swings continued. A lot of tests were done in different big hospit...  Read Full »