Colostomy

I am worried about the mass in my grandfather's computed tomography (CT) reports. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached my grandfather's CT scan reports. I would like to get an opinion. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Shoyab

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I have gone through the attached CT (computed tomography) report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) of your grandfather meticulously. I understand that the whole family is in anxiety over the mention of cancer. At the sa...  Read Full »

Even after doing colostomy, I had some rectal leakage. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hi doctor, Before three years, I had a colostomy. After that, I never had any problem. Last week, some feces leaked out of my rectum. I did not think much of it as I know that sometimes there could be a mucus discharge, although I never had it. Last night it happened again, but it was more and had ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I would like to know the exact reason for making the colostomy. I am assuming it was because of transverse myelitis. Still if possible kindly mention the exact type of colostomy done. It would be documented in your hospital records. Else send a good picture...  Read Full »

Will Hirschsprung's disease cause difficulty in passing stool?

Query: Hi doctor, My boy baby's age is 3 years 3 months. His colostomy opening was done just after the birth (in three days), and colostomy closure was done at the age of 1 year 7 months. Baby was fine till the last week. He was now having difficulty passing stool and swelling in the lower left abdomen. S...  Read Full »

Dr. Samir Bhatia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the image (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), suture site looks fine. Is the child passing gas? Is there any tenderness while you touch the abdomen? Is there any distension? Is he vomiting? Why was colostomy done? Please answer the qu...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for sigmoid volvulus?

Query: Hi doctor,My father recently had sigmoid volvulus. His colon was untwisted during a sigmoidoscopy. However, we understand that without surgery there is a high recurrence rate which we are concerned about. We have been told the two treatment options are A) Securing the bowel to the mesentery. B) Remo...  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif. M

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The treatment of sigmoid volvulus depends on the general health of the patient and the nature of presentation. In an elderly patient, with multiple comorbid illnesses or who are unfit for anesthesia, the preferred modality is endoscopic (colonoscopic). The recur...  Read Full »

I am 88 and the fecal matter comes out of my vagina. What are my options?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 88 yrs old. I have a rectal or vaginal fissure I guess. The fecal matter comes out of my vagina. Sometimes, I have a regular movement but still have a liquid form from the vagina. I do not want surgery. What can I expect for the short term of life I probably have left, if I do n...  Read Full »

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very sad to know about your condition. I can understand that at the age of 88 years, how you feel and suffer. But foremost, you need to get examined by your gynecologist. If it is a rectovaginal fistula, the only way to provide relief is by a minor surgery ...  Read Full »