Q. My son got a colostomy done at birth, suddenly facing difficulty in passing stool. Kindly help.

Dr. Samir Bhatia

My boy baby's age is 3 years 3 months. His colostomy opening was done just after the birth (in three days), and colostomy closure was done at the age of 1 year 7 months. Baby was fine till the last week. He was now having difficulty passing stool and swelling in the lower left abdomen. Swelling is just like a small ball. Stool softener medicine was given with some antacid. I have attached picture of the colostomy site. Please help.

#

I have seen the image (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), suture site looks fine. Is the child passing gas? Is there any tenderness while you touch the abdomen? Is there any distension? Is he vomiting? Why was colostomy done? Please answer the questions so that I can guide you accordingly.

Colostomy was done to treat Hirschsprung's disease. Baby is passing gas. There is softness in the abdomen area. Initially, he was vomiting but now fine. We gave Ondem syrup, Neopeptine, Colimex for two days initially. Now we are giving Mecolin on an empty stomach then the baby is passing stool. Now before food, we are giving Sucral-O suspension after food baby is taking Digipen syrup. Kindly help.

#

As the baby is passing stool no need to worry, it will settle. However, see for the danger signs as I had mentioned vomiting, not passing stool, or abdominal distension. It would help if you tried a high-fiber diet. Give more water. If it does not improve after three days, take a USG (ultrasonography) abdomen. Please get back if you have further queries.

|