Comedones

I have bumps on my nose and chin, but there are no pus or pores. What are those?

Query: Hi doctor, I have bumps on my nose and chin. I believe that as pimples but I am not sure. They do not contain any pus or pores because nothing squeezes out.  Read Full »

Dr. Philile Donna Bongekile Hlengwa

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The history that you have given and the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you supplied makes me inclined to believe that these are what we call closed comedones. Pimples are often referred to as open comedones. Closed comedones occur when cel...  Read Full »

10-year-old has white spots on cheeks. What has caused it?

Query: Hello doctor, My 10-year-old son has white spots on his cheeks. They have been around for the last couple of years. Some appear to look like blackheads. I do not know how to treat them. Or if this is milia or keratosis. They are only on his cheeks and some tiny spots under his eye. But chin and for...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Meena

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The white colored papules are indeed milia. The others are comedones. Comedones are part of acne vulgaris.  Read Full »

Green bump on the penis that has two black bumps on it. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, Green bump on the penis that has two black bumps on it, along with another black bump to the left. What do I do and what can I do about it?  Read Full »

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are comedones (blackheads). They are formed from clogged follicle of a particular area. They are not to be afraid of. So do not worry about them. One thing to remember is to not squeeze or push them because it will make them worse. There are creams that can exfoli...  Read Full »

What are the small painless bubbles on the arm?

Query: Hello doctor, I have these small painless bubbles on my arm for a long time now (almost two years). First, there were not much but now they are spreading all over my arm slowly. It makes me uncomfortable in wearing short sleeve clothes. Please help me.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are comedo or blackheads (attachment removed to protect patient identity), are small bumps that appear on your skin due to clogged hair follicles. These bumps are due to the production of too much body oil, the buildup of the acne bacteria, irritation of the hair...  Read Full »

How can these boils on my face be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old female. For the past one month, I have got these boils on my face. Ten years ago, I had the same issue and got treated. It is a kind of acne that is what the doctor had diagnosed at that time. At present, I do not take any medications for the same.These are the sam...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your clinical pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) You have lots of closed comedones on your forehead. Yes, it is acne. There are two types of comedones. They are closed comedones nothing but whiteheads and the other are open comedones wh...  Read Full »

I have many bumps that are joining together and growing big. How to get rid of them?

Query: Hello doctor, I have many mole types of bumps joining up together. They have a waxy look and sometimes there is a yellow keratin-like fluid coming out of them. It is above my lip and no it is not cold sores. It has been growing over the last year. How can I remove it as it is getting big? They are ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the clinical photographs attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The differential diagnoses are: Closed comedones. Molluscum contagiosum. Milia. The treatment for all the above is needling and curettage. In case of mol...  Read Full »

Why do antibiotics clear acne?

Query: Hi doctor, Why do antibiotics clear acne? Is bacteria the cause of acne? Please explain.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query. Yes, acne is caused by a bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes, but beside this other factors also play in forming acne. Change in keratinization pattern in pilosebaceous unit, which leads to a keratinous material to cause blocking of sebum secre...  Read Full »