Q. Is there any permanent cure for my unwanted thoughts?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am keep on getting unwanted thoughts and feelings related to the environment around in the vicinity. I am getting images of god, food items, fecal matter, song lyrics, animal skin feeling sensation, etc. There are countless examples. I am getting some racing feeling while resisting my thought. These thoughts and feeling are being like quite instantaneous, mild and unavoidable. They go in the background as a part of mental chatter. These things had been there for a long time. But, I am getting trapped in them now. I afraid that I am the only one who is experiencing them. I get confused with the way I should deal with them. I am affecting myself everywhere because of it. I get in competition with my mind as not to think or have those feelings while doing a particular task, but I end up having those thoughts and feelings. I searched on the internet and found that it was related to some white bear syndrome. I fear that this problem would spread and make my life miserable. Please help.

#

I can understand your concern.

• The intrusive thoughts and ideas you have mentioned are related to obsessive thoughts and should be evaluated properly.
  • Obsessions are repetitive, unwanted, intrusive, repugnant, dominating ideas, impulses or thoughts that are purposeless and cause significant distress to individuals.
  • The unwanted thoughts which are coming in your mind like food items hovering around your body, random animal skin-like sensation in the body and then racy feeling or anxiety when you try to resist these thoughts are obsessions only.
  • These thoughts are resulting in significant distress to your day-to-day functioning, so it should be treated properly. In severe OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), combination of behavior therapy and medicines are used. Medicines like SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) are the drugs of choice.
  • Fluoxetine or Fluvoxamine are used commonly. These drugs if used properly help to reduce the unwanted impulses in about four to six weeks. The drugs are safe to use and have no serious permanent side effects.
  • For more resistant symptoms, low dose antipsychotics can be used along with these drugs. Please visit a psychiatrist for help. Do not remain distressed and the early treatment will help in quick recovery.
  • Behavior therapy with relaxation exercises will be much helpful. You have already tried thought stopping. Other behavior therapy methods like exposure and response prevention, desensitization and relaxation exercises, etc., helps to supplement the actions of the drugs and reduce the intrusive thoughts too.
  • Do not think that your life will be miserable. Just remain hopeful and your symptoms will improve.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

I guess there is no permanent end to these things, if I am correct. The things are so instantaneous that I can have them or indulge in them at any point of time in my life. I had these things for so many years. Now, the only difference is that I have just become fearful and sensitive of them as if I am the only one having them.

#

• First of all, I do not think that this is a permanent thing.
  • With proper treatment, most of the individuals remain under full control and once symptomatic remission is achieved the drugs can be tapered.
  • Then, behavior therapy and relaxation exercises will keep your symptoms under control and you will face no problems in your life.
  • Just accept that you have an illness and with treatment you will be alright. Remain hopeful and believe in yourself. You can have a normal life as most of the individuals.

|