Q. What signs should I look for in a newborn to see if he has a concussion?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 31, 2014 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

What is a concussion? What signs should I look for in a newborn to see if he has a concussion?

#

A concussion is an injury to the head and consequently brain, that is caused by a fall or a hit. The danger is baby might bleed inside the brain. Three danger signs to look for in a baby with a concussion are:

1. See if the baby loses consciousness.
  2. See if the baby has a fit (seizure).
  3. Also, note if the baby has vomiting.

The type of injury also matters. Sometimes even if no signs may be present, it is better that the baby is seen by a doctor. Usually, if the baby is fine for 48 hours after the injury, then it is unlikely that baby could have suffered a serious injury. CT scan of the brain is done to rule out any bleeds, in case of suspicion.

|