Q. What signs should I look for in a newborn to see if he has a concussion?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 31, 2014 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

What is a concussion? What signs should I look for in a newborn to see if he has a concussion?

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

A concussion is an injury to the head and consequently brain, that is caused by a fall or a hit. The danger is baby might bleed inside the brain. Three danger signs to look for in a baby with a concussion are:

1. See if the baby loses consciousness.
  2. See if the baby has a fit (seizure).
  3. Also, note if the baby has vomiting.

The type of injury also matters. Sometimes even if no signs may be present, it is better that the baby is seen by a doctor. Usually, if the baby is fine for 48 hours after the injury, then it is unlikely that baby could have suffered a serious injury. CT scan of the brain is done to rule out any bleeds, in case of suspicion.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

I am worried about palpitations.Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, Last Wednesday night, I got palpitations. I took Rivotril 5 mg and slept. Next day I rushed to my physician. He prescribed me Ciplar 10 mg tablet and advised me to take one tablet daily after breakfast. Palpitations did not happen from past three months. My doctor advised me to continue...  Read Full »

Do you think my head injury is a critical one?

Query: Hi doctor, My head got injured after some part of a concrete ceiling collapse. CT Scan done and I have attached the reports. I was hospitalized three days. An ENT opinion was taken and also, an audiometry was done. It showed a minor injury in the right ear and less audibility. Now, I have some pa...  Read Full »

Can a minor head injury due to fall from a height result in brain tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, My now 18-year-old son fell from a height 14 years ago. He got a minor injury. I consulted a neurologist for a CT scan just for my satisfaction. But, the doctor said no he is absolutely fine. I am still worried whether in future he will suffer from a brain tumor be...  Read Full »