Concussion

Can a childhood concussion affect mental development?

Query: hello dr,I am a 23 years old woman and I was wondering if a mild concussion which happened when I was 7 (fell in a kindergarten on the forehead) could cause a decline in intelligence. I should precise that exams were done and revealed nothing abnormal. I stayed unconscious just for a few seconds, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Patil

Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello mam, Welcome to icliniq, 1) first of let me tell you that there is nothing wrong with your brain. A small injury to brain in your childhood might have definitely heal by now, and if not then also , function of that part of brain is taken by the adjoining normal brain. 2) you experience in sl...  Read Full »

Does a concussion result in one-sided pain in the head, temple, and jaw?

Query: Female, age 26, 5'4", 188 lbs Mild concussion from fall on top of head 15 days back (brain and c spice CT scan were clear). Consistent headaches since, ranging from mild to severe, mostly on left side of head, pain felt at the temple, behind the ears, as well as in the jaw. Treatment with 500-1000...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi this most likely seems to be Post Traumatic Headache. although the CT scan was normal I feel an MRI needs to be taken to reconfirm there are no Extradural bleed or Sub dural hematomas that may form after some time.If MRI brain is also normal then it is more likely to be a Post Traumatic Headache ...  Read Full »

Can concussion result in dizziness and pins and needles in the legs?

Query: Hi. Just want to get a quick consultation. Two days back, i was playing football in goal. I took a knee to the back of the head (wasn't unconscious or anything) i could feel a bit of pain however it wasn't till after the game when the adrenaline wasn't there i could feel pain in the back of my head ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi Welcome to icliniq Thank you for writing and i am concern about you. So basically if the force of knee was hard enough to hit head and you got lump there so there are chances of some injuries or fracture. In such case first of all I would like you to do x ray of affected area. And yes you shoul...  Read Full »

How long should my daughter stay at rest after concussion?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter suffered a concussion 16 weeks ago. She is still struggling with several symptoms like constant headache, fatigue, trouble falling asleep, feeling weird and occasional dizziness. She does feel a little better compared to a couple of weeks after it happened, but unfortunate...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can completely understand your concern for your daughter's illness. I have seen the attachment. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Sports concussion injury is a new concept in medical sciences. Concussion is basically a very mild injury to the brain w...  Read Full »

I hit my head twice in a week. Is it mandatory to consult a doctor?

Query: Hello doctor, I hit my head twice this week and wondering if I should see a doctor. I am a 29-year-old female. The first hit was four days ago on the top right of my head when standing up underneath something metal. It was a pretty hard hit. It hurt on and off for a day, just the spot itself on ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully and thoroughly reviewed all the details related to your case and feel sorry for the health issues you have. There is no major harm to the brain when hitting like this even twice in quick succession. Your concerns are notable but that worrisome situatio...  Read Full »

How long will it take for a 7-year-old boy to involve in sports after having concussion?

Query: Hello doctor, My 7-year- old son fell out of a top bunk and as he was bleeding from his ear we took him by an ambulance to the hospital where he was diagnosed with a major concussion and possible non-displaced skull fracture. He was discharged the next day but we were told that as he had been bleed...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern for your son, I hope he is fine. Since then, if he has no further bleeding and no seizure episodes, and is fine with no complaints he can attend the school and participate in sports and other activities. I would suggest to avoid swimming fo...  Read Full »

I have a history of concussion and suffering from eye floaters at present. Please suggest treatment.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 20 years old, with 155 pounds. I have been having eye trouble seeing squiggles and floaters in my vision. Also, I cannot focus, and it seems like the lighting goes different. Two years ago, I got into a car accident and suffered a concussion. I do not know what it can be. It is als...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Floaters are usually due to changes in vitreous (jelly in the back of the eye) when it starts liquefied and detached from retina. It often is the aging process after the 40s to 50s age, but in cases of trauma, surgery, or myopia, it can even be at an earlier age. As ...  Read Full »

What are the signs of concussion in a newborn?

Query: Hello doctor, What is a concussion? What signs should I look for in a newborn to see if he has a concussion?  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A concussion is an injury to the head and consequently brain, that is caused by a fall or a hit. The danger is baby might bleed inside the brain. Three danger signs to look for in a baby with a concussion are: See if the baby loses consciousness. See if the baby has...  Read Full »

I have had multiple concussions. Is it due to growth hormone deficiency?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male and I have been living with a lower quality of life for the past eight to nine years, starting around six to seven months after I had a pretty severe concussion. I had been diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome and saw several neurologists who ran numerous tests ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, I feel that you could have osteoporosis or osteopenia rather than growth hormone deficiency. You can have your bone DEXA scan done and follow up with your orthopedician if it turns out to be either. Growt...  Read Full »

I am diagnosed with concussion after my head injury. How can it be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46-year-old female preschool teacher. Recently, I was struck on the head by a first aid kit, a small box fan, and a child car seat, while I was putting another first aid kit on the top shelf in the storage closet at work. I did not lose consciousness but had mild nausea, extreme...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a post-concussion syndrome. This goes away by itself, but yes, it can take time like a few weeks to months. You should take proper sleep to get a complete recovery from this.  Avoid exertion, strain, excessive television viewing, computers, and mobiles.  I s...  Read Full »