Q. What could a clear bubble in the sclera of my eye be?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Published on Dec 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2019

I have a clear bubble in the sclera of my eye in the corner close to the nose. This has not gotten any bigger and sometimes it appears smaller. It does not hurt. I have had it for years. My eyes dry a lot and I have an issue with dry eyes and allergies. Could this be serious? Sometimes my eye in the corner is sticky as well. Please help.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

This appears to be a conjunctival cyst. It is not harmful.

This can be caused by a mild foreign body sensation.

I suggest you start Fluorometholone plus Tobramycin eyedrops three times a day for five days then taper it to two times a day for the next five days and then taper to single in the nighttime for the next five days.

You need to then stop this eyedrop and do not use it again without medical advice.

This is for resolution of the cyst I suggest you also start Carboxymethylcellulose plus Naphazoline eyedrop four times daily for dry eyes and for foreign body sensation if any. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the above eyedrops.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Your advice was really helpful.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You are most welcome. We are always there to serve you.

Though this course will resolve your problem, I suggest you keep a check on the size of the cyst if it increases.

In case, if you find it cosmetically unacceptable then it can be easily removed surgically.

What do bile salt and bile pigment signify in jaundice?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the value of bile salt and bile pigment if a person has jaundice?  Read Full »

Pterygium (Surfer's eye) - causes, prevention and treatment options

Article Overview: Success is about having more options. More the options, more the success. Pterygium remains the most notorious of eye ailments due to its propensity for recurrences. This article highlights the causes, prevention and treatment options for this ophthalmic enigma. Read Article

Dr. Abhishek Onkar
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Pterygium or Surfer's eye is a triangular,fleshy mass of conjuctiva that also involves the cornea. Pterygium derives its etymological origin from the Greek word 'pterygion' meaning small wing. In ophthalmic jargon it is described as a triangular, wing-like fibro-vascular encroachment of degenerative...  Read Article