Connective Tissue Disease

The biopsy of my skin rash showed interface dermatitis with mucin. Do I have lupus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old female, and I have had itchy, red, and burning rashes. It all started as a few bumps on my right arm, above my eyebrow, right upper nose area, all over the jaw and chin area, right chest and upper back react badly to the sun, and it is getting worse. I have had a l...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The rashes that you are describing along with the biopsy findings can go in favor of a connective tissue disease. Although, I would like to see the reports in detail, but as you mentioned interface dermatitis, it goes more in favor of lupus over dermatomyositis. But, ...  Read Full »

What does severe fatigue with positive ANA test indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, In January, I started to become very fatigued. My doctor sent me for some lab works and my ANA tested positive when a high membrane pattern of 1:1280. I have pain in my hands and back of my legs and the fatigue has continued since then. I also developed a bumpy rash on my abdomen. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your test suggests that you are suffering from a connective tissue disease. The symptoms may be nonspecific like you have fatigue, arthritis, rash, dry eyes, and mouth. It is advisable to do an extractable nuclear antigen (ENA) to reveal which particular antibodies ar...  Read Full »

Why does my wife have joint pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife has been suffering from joint pains for the past two days. She is 21 years old. We got married last month. Her symptoms are light and she also has headache.  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the details you have posted. To know the diagnosis of joint pain I need to know some details. Which joints are most involved? Is there any swelling and tenderness? Is there severe pain on movement of involved joints? There are many causes for joint ...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for arthritis with pale violet and gangrene in fingers?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has arthritis and has become very weak over the last few months. Now she has a condition that is more or less like Raynaud's phenomenon. Her fingers are turning pale violet and one of the fingers had gangrene like occurrence. Not only hands but even the toes are experiencing th...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are right in saying that she has the symptoms of Raynaud's with digital gangrene which is on going. With arthritis, there are 50 variants of it and it is very important to distinguish which one she has it as the management will differ for every arthritis. I would...  Read Full »

Alpha 2 Globulin and Gamma Globulin are High. What Does This Mean?

Query: Hello doctor,I tested positive for an autoimmune disease. My titers were 1280. I then had more blood work done by a rheumatologist and just now received some back online. I noticed my alpha 2 globulin was high (1.12) and my gamma globulin was pretty high as well. The rest were normal on the protein ...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned which autoimmune disease test has come positive. High levels of alpha 2 globulin are seen when there is a loss of albumin via urine because alpha 2 is a large molecule. It does not pass kidney filtration. So, it is retained because it is a com...  Read Full »

Why am I constantly sick and tired?

Query: Hi doctor, I keep having these waves of feeling sick and tired with no energy for about six weeks now.  Read Full »

Dr. Murali R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Feeling tired or sick may have lots of causes. More information from you may help in giving a diagnosis.  The causes could be:  The most common cause is anemia. Do a complete blood picture to rule it out. Record your temperature to check for a fever or an infection...  Read Full »

Is my ANA result indicative of lupus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have started to experience weird sensations around my body after my father died three years ago. I would often get sudden stabbing head pains, numbness in face, painful and sometimes stiff fingers especially, after waking up. More recently, I get heart palpitations, which force me to co...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This does not look like lupus. Lupus is a serious disease, which apart from other symptoms, can affect the kidneys and the brain. I agree that your ANA (antinuclear antibody) is positive, howev...  Read Full »