Q. My wife has Raynaud's with pale violet and gangrene fingers. Please help.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2020

My wife has arthritis and has become very weak over the last few months. Now she has a condition that is more or less like Raynaud's phenomenon. Her fingers are turning pale violet and one of the fingers had gangrene like occurrence. Not only hands but even the toes are experiencing the same. Please help.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

You are right in saying that she has the symptoms of Raynaud's with digital gangrene which is on going. With arthritis, there are 50 variants of it and it is very important to distinguish which one she has it as the management will differ for every arthritis. I would like to ask a few more queries:

Any history of oral ulcers? Hairfall? Any history of fever? Which joints are affected? Swelling in the joints? Any deformity? Any changes in skin color or skin becoming tightened? Any history of dry eyes or dry mouth? Any muscle weakness which you have observed?

With the start of Raynaud's, it seems like a systemic involvement more, something like lupus, but we need to rule it out. Kindly let me know these queries and I am advising a few tests. If they have been done, please attach the reports as well.

CBC (complete blood count). ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). CRP (C-reactive protein). Rheumatoid factor. Anti CCP antibody. A NA(by immunofloroscence). Serum creatinine. Urine routine.

Connective tissue disease.

| 

I will have the tests done and will upload the reports.

No history of oral ulcers or hair fall. She has thyroid problems on the higher side. No fever and no swelling in joints or deformity. No history of dry eyes or dry mouth, and no muscle weakness.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

I suggest we get these tests done and sort out which type of arthritis she has. Meanwhile, you can start her on tablet Nifedipine 10 mg twice daily for the Raynauds as it will help the healing of the tissue as well.

| 

I have attached the file.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The only report I found was ANA (antinuclear antibody) which is positive at 1: 80 and rheumatoid factor too. But since you mentioned there are no visible swelling in the joints and there is more of Raynauds, the diagnosis would be more in favor of undifferentiated connective tissue disease. Although, limitations remain to give a complete diagnosis without clinical examination, but we are fine to start her with milder medications to prevent the disease from progressing.

Diagnosis: Undifferentiated connective tissue disease.

Medications:

1. Tablet Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg twice daily.

2. Tablet Nicardia R (Nifidipine) 10 mg twice daily (for Raynauds).

3. Capsule Uprise D3 60 K once a week for eight weeks and then once a month to continue.

| 

Thank you for your kind help.

There is sever pain in my pinky finger on moving. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My pinky finger on my left hand (which is my writing hand) is hurting a lot. I have to keep moving it so it will not go numb and it is going red like in the photos from my pinky down to the knuckle on the side of my hand, it feels strained or dislocated every time. I run cold water on...  Read Full »

Can a blood clot migrates from leg to heart and cause heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a heart patient, and I am on Plavix and Aspirin. I have multiple blockages in my legs. Is it possible for a clot to form in legs, and then it moves to the heart, causing a heart attack when I soak my legs in hot water to relieve my restless leg syndrome? Similarly, can multiple c...  Read Full »

Is lupus causing all my symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 44 year old female, and I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus, and Sjogren's syndrome, with symptoms dating back to as young as six years old. I have also been diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension, thyroiditis, Raynaud disease, right-sided heart enlargeme...  Read Full »

Miscarriage
This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»

Ask a Rheumatologist Now