Q. I have diffculty in bowel movement without laxatives. Why?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

I am 16 years old. My weight 87 kg and 1.73 cm tall. It has been a year since I am not comfortable having bowel movements. I go to the toilet once a week and the stool is usually hard to pass without a natural laxative and I use AgioLax. I do not know if the use of this laxative is safe or not but it is working every time whenever I use it.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

You have chronic constipation. There is possibility that your large bowel is functioning slow, or it may be a problem with the ejection of stools and not necessarily slow bowel. To differentiate between I need to have more information.

The laxative you use is safe, but it has the potential to develop tolerance i.e. it can lose its effect if uses for a long time. So as far as it is working fine you can use it.

The other complaint you mention of bloating and fullness after a small meal are secondary to constipation. Recently the FDA (Food and Drug administration) has approved some newer medications for primary constipation, you can use it. Take tablet Prucalopride 2 mg daily. You can stop other medications for constipation.

Let me know in a few days how you respond. If no improvement we can increase the dose or add some other medicines.

Chronic idiopathic constipation.

Defecatory disorder.

Tablet Prucalopride 2 mg daily.

Follow up in one week.

| 

Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old female. I had gestational diabetes and 11 years later my sugar levels were high so started taking Glycomet. However, the fasting sugar level in the morning is always high and PP is less than fasting. Recent HbA1c is 6.9. Do I have to continue medicine? I walk daily ...  Read Full »