Q. I have diffculty in bowel movement without laxatives. Why?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

I am 16 years old. My weight 87 kg and 1.73 cm tall. It has been a year since I am not comfortable having bowel movements. I go to the toilet once a week and the stool is usually hard to pass without a natural laxative and I use AgioLax. I do not know if the use of this laxative is safe or not but it is working every time whenever I use it.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

You have chronic constipation. There is possibility that your large bowel is functioning slow, or it may be a problem with the ejection of stools and not necessarily slow bowel. To differentiate between I need to have more information.

The laxative you use is safe, but it has the potential to develop tolerance i.e. it can lose its effect if uses for a long time. So as far as it is working fine you can use it.

The other complaint you mention of bloating and fullness after a small meal are secondary to constipation. Recently the FDA (Food and Drug administration) has approved some newer medications for primary constipation, you can use it. Take tablet Prucalopride 2 mg daily. You can stop other medications for constipation.

Let me know in a few days how you respond. If no improvement we can increase the dose or add some other medicines.

Chronic idiopathic constipation.

Defecatory disorder.

Tablet Prucalopride 2 mg daily.

Follow up in one week.

|