Q. What is the lightest diet to have in a patient with lazy bowel?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Published on Oct 09, 2018

I have developed a lazy bowel due to laxatives and I have developed depression. I have a little cereal in the morning but I am scared to eat. What can I have? My doctor is ordering a CT scan today. I cannot eat until then but after, what is the lightest diet?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

Constipation is mainly related to lack of fiber in the diet and poor bowel habits or intestinal motility disorders. The indication of a CT scan is not obvious here. Your doctor must be thinking of some obstruction of intestine or mass in the abdomen. When it is scheduled, it should be done to rule out the said etiology. You should follow their instructions for the CT scan. Thereafter, you should follow a high fiber diet to alleviate constipation. I want to know about the other investigations, whatever blood or stool investigation was done. Kindly provide the report. We will plan for the laxative, that will clear your bowel.

Chronic constipation.

1.High fiber diet.
2.Polyethylene glycol, 35 gm once In a day, night time with 200ml water.
3.Plenty of water 4 to 5 liters per day.
4.Regular exercise, walking for 1 hour.

Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old female. I had gestational diabetes and 11 years later my sugar levels were high so started taking Glycomet. However, the fasting sugar level in the morning is always high and PP is less than fasting. Recent HbA1c is 6.9. Do I have to continue medicine? I walk daily ...  Read Full »

Why do I feel bloated after I eat?

Query: Hello doctor, I have gas problem and bloating after I eat any normal size meal. I have struggled with constipation for years, but paid very close attention to that issue. Currently, it is not the problem. I have had colonoscopy and stool tests and they were fine. I did have colitis back due to use o...  Read Full »

Can chronic constipation cause prostatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I have been suffering from bladder and lower back pain for about six months now. I have been to the doctor several times and each time the test was negative for infection. I used to get relief from symptoms once I take the antibiotics, but the pain will recur. I do no...  Read Full »