Q. Why is there increasing amounts of mucus in the feces?

Dr. Noushif M
Published on Feb 20, 2018

My 77-year-old wife has had constipation issues all her life. This coupled with IBS that generally results in at best small balls of feces. This is day five of no real bowel movement. She had a total knee replacement nine months ago and para-esophageal hiatal hernia repair. Early on use of MiraLax (Polyethylene Glycol) produced nothing followed by two days of Magnesium citrate and still nothing. Finally today, a fleet enema producing small group of balls with mucus. She is currently on Crestor, Tofranil, Fioricet and Lorazepam. Can you share your thoughts regarding this continued bowel movements producing ever-increasing amounts of mucus?

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

The mucus usually results from prolonged constipation and has nothing to worry.

She needs to take measures to avoid constipation. Have a high fiber diet. Avoid constipating foods. Take 2 to 3 liters of water daily. You can have low dose laxatives like Cremaffin (Liquid paraffin, Magnesium hydroxide and Sodium picosulfate), Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) and Lactifibre (Lactitol and Isabgol husk) in ascending order as needed. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent.

When was a colonoscopy done? If not within a year, you need to consider one.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

CKD patient with high phosphorus content. Is dialysis required now?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is suffering from CKD for the past one year. His creatinine level is 11.05, urea is 144 and uric acid is 5.10. He has no swelling or breathlessness, but his phosphorus content is high 5.80. We have not started the dialysis at the moment. Could you please guide the right wa...  Read Full >>

Dr. Krishna Somani
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing all the details and your father's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to ask few questions. What is his age? How is his appetite? Does he feel nauseated or vomit? Is he losing weight and feels generally unwell? With these ...  Read Full

How can I manage chronic idiopathic constipation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 69-year-old male with 74 kg weight (constant for 45 years), 174 cm height, BMI 24 and nondiabetic. My blood pressure is under control, i.e., 130/70 mmHg with Temsan 40 mg one tablet a day and Metolar 25 two tablets a day. CBC, urea, creatinine, urine reports are all normal. Che...  Read Full >>

Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bowel frequency can vary from 3 per day to 3 per week. It can have individual variation. Its always better to reduce the amount as well as the frequency of laxatives. Dietary changes, liquid intake, etc., should constantly be maintained for sustained response. You need...  Read Full

What is the reason for constipation in children?

Query: Hi doctor, My child was constipated for the past four days. Our doctor gave enema and he passed his stools. Now, again, he is suffering from constipation. What is the reason?  Read Full >>

Dr. Sirisha
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Constipation is a common problem in children. It is usually temporary, which is relieved by medications given through the anus. It might persist for a few days and suppository can be used to pass stools, instead of enema. Please take care of dietary habits, which can tri...  Read Full