Q. Why is there increasing amounts of mucus in the feces?

Answered by Dr. Noushif M and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Constipation or Lactifiber? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My 77-year-old wife has had constipation issues all her life. This coupled with IBS that generally results in at best small balls of feces. This is day five of no real bowel movement. She had a total knee replacement nine months ago and para-esophageal hiatal hernia repair. Early on use of MiraLax (Polyethylene Glycol) produced nothing followed by two days of Magnesium citrate and still nothing. Finally today, a fleet enema producing small group of balls with mucus. She is currently on Crestor, Tofranil, Fioricet and Lorazepam. Can you share your thoughts regarding this continued bowel movements producing ever-increasing amounts of mucus?