Q. Kindly suggest a cough medicine for my wife, who is 5 months pregnant.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

My wife is 5 months pregnant. She is treated in one of the reputed hospitals. She has been advised to take Feronia -XT and Cal 360 tablets. Over last three to four days she is having cough in the night time and she is afraid to use any tablets or tonic. Kindly suggest which tablet or tonic she should take.

#

• At 5 months of pregnancy, there is little or almost nil harm if she takes proper medicine. Though, an examination is always mandatory.
  • Amoxicillin 500 mg, available as Wymox 500 mg should be taken as thrice a day for five days.
  • Syrup Deletus D (Dextromethorphan) could be taken two teaspoons thrice a day for five days.
  • Hope, she is not asthmatic. If so please let me know. She needs a change in cough syrup. Otherwise, start all of them under the consent of her doctor.

Blood test to check for hemoglobin level, total count and differential count.

Cough in pregnancy.

Revert back after the investigations to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 
1 out of 1 likes