Q. Kindly suggest a cough medicine for my wife, who is 5 months pregnant.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

My wife is 5 months pregnant. She is treated in one of the reputed hospitals. She has been advised to take Feronia -XT and Cal 360 tablets. Over last three to four days she is having cough in the night time and she is afraid to use any tablets or tonic. Kindly suggest which tablet or tonic she should take.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• At 5 months of pregnancy, there is little or almost nil harm if she takes proper medicine. Though, an examination is always mandatory.
  • Amoxicillin 500 mg, available as Wymox 500 mg should be taken as thrice a day for five days.
  • Syrup Deletus D (Dextromethorphan) could be taken two teaspoons thrice a day for five days.
  • Hope, she is not asthmatic. If so please let me know. She needs a change in cough syrup. Otherwise, start all of them under the consent of her doctor.

Blood test to check for hemoglobin level, total count and differential count.

Cough in pregnancy.

Revert back after the investigations to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 
1 out of 1 likes

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »

What medicines can I take for throat irritation post LASIK surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years now. Last Monday got LASIK for my eyes and in recovery phase this week. I had cold before that which has increased and continuing till now. I have throat irritation and slight nose block for which I took Otrivin at night for 2 days but still not much improvement. What table...  Read Full »

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full »