Q. Is it advisable to give P-250 and Amoxicillin for fever to 3 years old child?

Dr. Bhaisara Baraturam Bhagrati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

My son age 3 years old has a fever since yesterday noon, till now I have given six times P-250 5 ml dosage, the fever reduces and comes back in three hours. The temperature goes 102.8 F in the underarm. Now at 2.30 PM, I have given Amoxicillin 125 mg 5 ml with P-250. Otherwise, he is normal, plays 30 minutes in the morning and ate little. Can I continue the medicine or change it? Please prescribe any other medicines and tell me when to worry.

#

I understand your concern. A fever has multiple causes, the most common causes are viral fever, throat inflammation. Usually, these illness does not require antibiotics (Amoxicillin). Antibiotics should be started only in a bacterial infection that too after doctor's recommendation. For high great fever (100 F or more ), you can give Meftal P 3 ml stat dose and repeat after six hours. If the fever is more than 100 F. If fever is less than 100 F then continue P 250 4 to 6 hourly. In between medication do whole body tepid sponging. The purpose is to get down fever as early as possible to normal temperature. If fever is not subsiding after 48 to 72 hours, then you need to investigate and show to doctors to rule other important causes of fever. Tepid sponging can be done with a wet towel, starting from head to toe. Check temperature after it, if it gets down stop tepid sponging.

My kid had medicine and was fine for the past two days. But, now he has cough and fever again. He takes very less food, looks tired and sleepy. Please give some advice sir.

#

I will suggest do blood test and continue fever medicine. Thank you.

|