Q. What are the causes of persistent cough when exposed to cold temperatures?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I had a fever recently and found my COVID results to be positive. Now no more COVID, but I have an intermittent cough, especially at night or when I am exposed to cold temperatures. So I went for HRCT chest. Please find my report and give suggestions.

#

Thank you for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from cough, especially at night.

According to the HRCT (high-resolution computed tomography) of the Chest, your reports (attachment removed to protect patient's identity) have shown that a few subcentimeter sizes right paratracheal and prevascular lymph nodes are present.

Paratracheal lymph nodes run along your trachea or windpipe, which may often become swollen in case of a sore throat or a cold. So, a sore throat or cold may have caused leading to an enlarged paratracheal lymph nodes for you.

Again, especially right enlarged paratracheal lymph nodes are found in case of tuberculosis.

Other reasons that may cause enlarged paratracheal and prevascular lymph nodes are sarcoidosis, lymphoma, histoplasmosis, neoplasia, etc.

So, some investigations like complete blood count (CBC), sputum for AFB-3 sample, Mantoux test, computed tomography (CT) guided fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) or biopsy to find out the exact causes for lymphadenopathy and then treat them accordingly.

Only CT-guided FNAC or biopsy may help to confirm the diagnosis.

Take care.

In case of any other query, ask me.

|