Q. My mother is allergic to Paracetamol. Could she take AstraZeneca vaccine?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 27, 2021 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2021

My mother is 54 years old. She had a minor operation a few years ago and was under some medicines, including Paracetamol. She then developed an allergic reaction to Paracetamol that manifested as swelling of the body and lasted for several days. She consulted a doctor and took some medicine, and she was fine again. The doctor examined the tablets she took earlier and wrote down a list of those that might cause the allergic reaction. She has now lost that list and can only remember Paracetamol among them.

Does this allergy to Paracetamol and potentially some other kinds of medicine mean she should not take a COVID vaccine, especially to the AstraZeneca? She also had tuberculosis.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

I suggest you repeat the allergic test and then take the COVID-19 Vaccines (Coronavirus Disease-2019). That will be a better idea because if she is sensitive to any other medicine, there might be severe side effects. So she must go through an allergic test once before vaccination.

People with Paracetamol allergy can take the vaccine, but if she develops a fever, there will not be many alternatives to treat fever. Hence it is better to check other medications, and then she can take the vaccine.

|