Q. Am I at risk of black fungus if I am not diabetic and did not take steroids for COVID-19?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2021

I tested positive for COVID-19 ten days ago and have been completely asymptomatic. I have no diabetes or have not used steroids. Am I still at risk of black fungus or mucormycosis? I have been trying very hard not to panic looking at the cases. Please help me.

#

I completely understand your concern and will definitely help you regarding this. Black fungus or mucormycosis is an opportunistic fungus that thrives in low immunity and a favorable environment. Inadvertent use of steroids lowers immunity. Also, patients on ventilators for the long term have increased risk. You are not at extra risk for contracting mucormycosis, but you still need to take precautions. Handle your mask with hygiene. If you use a washable mask, wash it at regular intervals and if your mask is non-washable, then change it at appropriate intervals. Actually, long-term use of the mask makes it moist due to the moisture in the breath and sweat. These conditions may favor fungal or bacterial growth. Eat a well-balanced diet. I hope this helped. Take care, and I wish you a swift recovery.

|