Q. I had fever and suddenly lost the sense of smell and taste. Should I go for COVID-19 test?

Dr. Zubayeralam

0n 7th August, I had a fever of around 99 to 99.5 for two days. I took Azithromycin for three days. From 9th, no fever till date. But on 10th August, I suddenly lost my sense of smell and taste. Today I have no fever, my oxygen level varies from 94 to 98. I am checking my oxygen 10 times a day. I have not gone for COVID test. When I can declare myself recovered or out of danger. Kindly advise.

Whether I should go for the COVID test? Whether I can be serious? Today I have done chest CT of my own. It shows some issues. CT severity 4/25. Right now, I have no problem. Whether I need medicine for chest infection?

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from loss of taste and smell. Your oxygen level varies from 94 to 98, which is excellent indeed. If your oxygen level becomes below 93, then you need oxygen supply to increase your oxygen level.

Sudden loss of taste and smell indicates that you are affected by viral infection like the COVID-19 virus. You should definitely undergo an antigen test or antibody test for COVID-19 or RT-PCR test for COVID-19.

Your HRCT of the chest (attachment removed to protect patient identity) also has revealed that multifocal, multilobar with defined areas of ground glass and consolidation in both lungs indicating bilateral pneumonia caused by a probably viral infection like COVID-19.

So from the above discussion, it is assumed that you are now suffering from COVID-19 pneumonia. If any complications like respiratory distress, decreased oxygen saturation, etc., occur then you should be hospitalized for better management.

You should take antiviral medication with broad-spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime to prevent any secondary infections and Fexofenadine with Montelukast for your bilateral pneumonia.

| 

Kindly send me prescription for medicines. Last fever came 11 days before. Am I on recovery path? My smell also returned back.

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

No fever, returning back of smell, etc., are good signs for recovery. But you have pneumonia according to your HRCT of chest on which may be complications of COVID-19 infection.

You can take the following medications for your pneumonia:

Take tablet Favivir 200 mg 4-0-4 on day 1. After that, from second day to fifth day, 3+0+3 total five days. Tablet Suprax (Cefixime) 400 mg 1+0+1 for 14 days, tablet Allegra (Fexofenadine) 120 mg 0+0+1 for 10 days, tablet Singulair (Montelukast sodium)10 mg 0+0+1 for 14 days.

If any complications occur that I have already mentioned, immediately get yourself admitted into the hospital.

In case of any other query, knock me and I will try to reply to you further.

|