Q. Am I suffering from pneumonia?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2019

I am having fever for about a month now. So, I have done a master health checkup and the report shows raised PLBS 184, SGPT 121, LDL 112 and fatty liver. My chest x-ray PA view shows right lower zone soft tissue opacity. Because of the soft tissue opacity fever pack, thyroid profile, blood culture and sensitivity, sputum AFB, sputum culture and sensitivity and sputum gram stain tests were done. The results were normal except the gram stain test results. The gram stain sputum culture conventional showed pus cells and epithelial cells occasionally, bacteria - gram positive cocci, gram negative rods. Sputum culture and sensitivity showed pus cell - occasional, epithelial cells - occasional, bacteria - gram positive cocci and gram negative rods and growth observed - normal flora. So, kindly explain the above results and advise me. My past medical history includes fistula-in-ano, hypertension and vitamin D deficiency. Currently, I am taking Telma 40 mg and Lumia 60k.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• Based on these reports, you are suffering from pneumonia.
  • As your PPBS (postprandial blood sugar) is high, you need further evaluation and treatment.
  • I would advise you to get a CT chest done. Also, get a sputum fungal stain and culture done.
  • Check HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) for every three months.
  • You need to get these investigations done to be sure of the treatment required. You need to start on broad spectrum antibiotics to control the infection.

Revert back with the investigation reports to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

| 

Gram positive cocci and gram negative rods are found in both sputum gram stain and sputum culture and sensitivity test. But, in the sputum culture and sensitivity test the growth observed is normal flora. Here my doctor said it is normal. My body temperature is always high and I lost 2.5 kg in 25 days. Please explain this. What type of antibiotics or medicine do I need to take if I am suffering from bacterial pneumonia?

#

• What is troubling me is your weight loss with a positive finding in chest x-ray.
  • I would hereby recommend you to go for evaluation of fungal infection as you have diabetes too.
  • You should get the above mentioned tests done on priority. Treatment would be based on the reports.

Revert back with the reports to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

| 

As per your advice I have given for sputum fungal stain test. Please clarify me the following points. Are gram positive cocci and gram negative rods found in both sputum for gram stain and sputum for culture and sensitivity test normal? I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes before five years, but till now I never took medicine for it. I controlled my diet very well and so my blood sugar fasting never raised above 100 and post meal after two hours is always between 150 and 190. My HbA1c is always below 6.4. Till now I did not suffer with any diabetic symptoms. Do I need medicine for diabetes? I took antibiotic tablet Cifran for 10 days and one tetanus injection just before eight days of my blood test. Whether that antibiotic tablet affected the test report? Please guide.

#

• Since you have taken antibiotics prior to the sputum test, the reports are negative. So, we cannot rule out the possibility of pneumonia.
  • You would need to get a CT chest also to be sure that the pneumonia has healed or left. This would be apparent in the CT.
  • In the meanwhile, you will get the report for your fungal stain.
  • As far as your diabetes is concerned, you should get your HbA1c repeated to be sure that your diabetes is not further worsening.
  • So, after taking antibiotic, your sputum test is negative. Hence this does not rule out your infection.

Revert back with the CT chest to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

| 

How can high blood sugar be treated in someone who has chronic diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has an 18-year history of type 2 diabetes mainly due to stress. HbA1c is 11 and fasting blood sugar level is 247 with G.M.SR 2. Her ESR is 40. She is suffering from frequent body aches these days especially in shoulders. In the past, she has taken Glimestar. P...  Read Full »

What do HbA1c of 8 and fasting glucose of 140 signify?

Query: Hello doctor, My HbA1c is 8 and fasting glucose is 140. My urine microalbumin to creatinine ratio is 116. What do these values mean?  Read Full »

Is diabetes medicine needed if HbA1c is 7.5?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now