Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What is the treatment to reduce CPK level?

Answered by
Dr. Tarek Algamal
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2019

Hello doctor,

My husband is a 30-year-old. Last week, he went to the gym the first time after a year and did heavy biceps exercise with high repetitions. After two days, his arms were swollen, and he was not able to make his arms straight. Yesterday we consulted with a nephrologist, and he told to do tests for CPK and serum creatinine. The CPK level was 15850 which is very scary to us, and when the doctor saw reports, he said that it is a muscle breakdown but did not tell us to have an IV therapy and asked to drink lot and lot of water.

We are quite worried about the kidney failure thing and wanted to know that is there really no need to admit in the hospital? Symptoms,

1. After a day of rough biceps exercise, arms were stiff and swelling, which has resolved 40 % by now.

2. Urine is clear, and the color is almost like water. The average urinate time is 10 to 15 seconds.

3. No other symptoms of pain other than both hands which have a dull ache.

His report says,

Yesterday CPK was 15850 and creatinine was .96. Today it was 15400 and Creatinine was .86

My question is, should we get IV, or it will it decrease over time? How is his kidney doing?

Dr. Tarek Algamal



Welcome to

My opinion is that he should be admitted to the hospital. Good that he has enough urine output so far. But it can decrease any time, and kidney functions will start to drop. The best is to admit him for close intravenous hydration and daily monitoring of kidney functions and CPK (creatine phosphokinase). Also to guard against high potassium hazards.

The Probable causes:


Investigations to be done:

CPK, kidney functions, electrolytes.

Treatment plan:

Admission, IV hydration, close monitoring.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have muscle weakness and mild pain on the forearm and hip. What could this be?
Can a person with high CPK donate blood?
My daughter has repeated episodes of vomiting. I would like your opinion on this matter.

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Nephrologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.