Q. What is the treatment to reduce CPK level?

Dr. Tarek Algamal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2019

My husband is a 30-year-old. Last week, he went to the gym the first time after a year and did heavy biceps exercise with high repetitions. After two days, his arms were swollen, and he was not able to make his arms straight. Yesterday we consulted with a nephrologist, and he told to do tests for CPK and serum creatinine. The CPK level was 15850 which is very scary to us, and when the doctor saw reports, he said that it is a muscle breakdown but did not tell us to have an IV therapy and asked to drink lot and lot of water.

We are quite worried about the kidney failure thing and wanted to know that is there really no need to admit in the hospital? Symptoms,

1. After a day of rough biceps exercise, arms were stiff and swelling, which has resolved 40 % by now.

2. Urine is clear, and the color is almost like water. The average urinate time is 10 to 15 seconds.

3. No other symptoms of pain other than both hands which have a dull ache.

His report says,

Yesterday CPK was 15850 and creatinine was .96. Today it was 15400 and Creatinine was .86

My question is, should we get IV, or it will it decrease over time? How is his kidney doing?

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrology
#

My opinion is that he should be admitted to the hospital. Good that he has enough urine output so far. But it can decrease any time, and kidney functions will start to drop. The best is to admit him for close intravenous hydration and daily monitoring of kidney functions and CPK (creatine phosphokinase). Also to guard against high potassium hazards.

Rhabdomyolysis.

CPK, kidney functions, electrolytes.

Admission, IV hydration, close monitoring.

Ask a Nephrologist Now