Q. Why CPVT is not evident on EKGs?

Published on May 11, 2016

I understand that a resting EKG cannot show catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (CPVT). I had numerous EKGs and echoes and all were normal. I read that the stress test is the only way to diagnose CPVT. I have had major panic attacks during EKGs with heart rates up to 140 to 150 numerous times and they only showed sinus tachycardia. I also read that CPVT will show up during heart rates of 120 to 130 bpm. Why the CPVT is not evident on EKGs?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you.

• CPVT - catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia is a devastating condition and is usually found and detected on Holter monitor or on stress test if asymptomatic.
  • In case of acute attack if a person has severe chest pain or syncope then at that time it can be documented in ECG.
  • If your panic attack is due to CPVT then definitely it would have appeared in your ECG. It is very unlikely that you have CPVT.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

If my heart rate was 140 to 150, would CPVT show almost every time on the EKG?

#

• No not at all. It would show only if you are actually having the CPVT.
  • The ECG of any VT (ventricular tachycardia) is absolutely classical and no doctor can miss it or consume with sinus tachycardia.
  • I would however need to know few things. What actually is making you feel that you have CPVT?
  • What are your actual symptoms? Revert with the asked details for a better help.

Revert back with the detailed history to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Are heart palpitations, tachycardia and shortness of breath due to mitral valve stenosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from heart palpitations (especially when I lie down or do some physical activity), shortness of breath, tachycardia for the past three months. I am taking Propranolol (20 mg per day) for this. Propranolol is controlling trachycardia a bit. In stress my condition worsens...  Read Full »

Why do I have tachycardia and dyspnea at night?

Query: Hi doctor, I have tachycardia, and dyspnea at night. It causes sleep disturbance. Please help.  Read Full »