Q. Why CPVT is not evident on EKGs?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 27, 2020

I understand that a resting EKG cannot show catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (CPVT). I had numerous EKGs and echoes and all were normal. I read that the stress test is the only way to diagnose CPVT. I have had major panic attacks during EKGs with heart rates up to 140 to 150 numerous times and they only showed sinus tachycardia. I also read that CPVT will show up during heart rates of 120 to 130 bpm. Why the CPVT is not evident on EKGs?

#

We are here to help you.

• CPVT - catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia is a devastating condition and is usually found and detected on Holter monitor or on stress test if asymptomatic.
  • In case of acute attack if a person has severe chest pain or syncope then at that time it can be documented in ECG.
  • If your panic attack is due to CPVT then definitely it would have appeared in your ECG. It is very unlikely that you have CPVT.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

If my heart rate was 140 to 150, would CPVT show almost every time on the EKG?

#

• No not at all. It would show only if you are actually having the CPVT.
  • The ECG of any VT (ventricular tachycardia) is absolutely classical and no doctor can miss it or consume with sinus tachycardia.
  • I would however need to know few things. What actually is making you feel that you have CPVT?
  • What are your actual symptoms? Revert with the asked details for a better help.

Revert back with the detailed history to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|