Q. What can be the cause for severe cramps during periods?

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Cramps or Heavy Bleeding? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

When I was in high school, I had horrible periods. Very heavy bleeding, big clots and they would last longer than a week sometimes. I never told anyone because I was embarrassed and eventually, it calmed down and they were more normal. I still had awful, awful cramps every month though until about two years ago when I went on birth control. Since then they have been super easy, light, only lasting a few days with manageable cramps. But slowly every month my cramps are getting worse and worse again. Any idea, why?