Q. Can crossbite be fixed with braces, or does it require surgery?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B

I am 16-year-old, and I have a crossbite. It is a huge insecurity for me. I did not have a crossbite when I was younger, but my jaw started getting more asymmetrical as I grew. Can this be fixed with braces, or will I have to undergo surgery?

#

Crossbite is a condition when your teeth come in contact with each other in an abnormal manner. There are multiple types of crossbite - anterior (front teeth) or posterior (back teeth). It could be on one side or both sides.

Depending on the condition, the treatment plan is decided.

For posterior crossbite -

In mild conditions, it can be treated by braces alone. If it is moderate to severe, surgery might be required.

For anterior crossbite also, the same thing applies.

Your upper jaw completes growth earlier than lower ones, so if lower grows beyond the potential of upper ones, you end up in crossbite.

For better treatment plans and suggestions, I would like to have a look at your face and teeth conditions.

You can book a slot for video consultation, wherein I can answer your queries on a real-time basis, and immediate assistance can be provided.

Kindly share face photos in frontal and profile view (to assess if crossbite is causing any facial features to change).

Kindly share intraoral photos in frontal and lateral view (right and left) as well as occlusal photos (to judge if your upper jaw is narrow and requires surgery to expand).

You can check online to get a better idea of how to click these photos for better information assessment.

|