Dark Lips

How to treat dark lines on the upper lip?

Query: Hello doctor, I have recently developed dark lines that align with my upper lip and curves downwards when I smile. I have no idea what this can be and how to treat it. Please let me know if you can help me. I use a cream to help with my acne, but I have been using it for the past four years now an...  Read Full »

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read your history, and what you are having is pigmentary demarcation lines. Pigmentary demarcation lines can cause an appearance of uneven pigmentation over the face that can be wors...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for dry and dark lips?

Query: Hi doctor, My lips are dry and black at the edges. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In case you are a smoker, stop smoking. I suggest using Melanite cream daily only on the lips. Take a thin slice of lemon, sprinkle a bit of sugar on top and rub it on your lips. It will exfoliate dead cells, so new and fresh skin can appear. Use this remedy daily for a f...  Read Full »

Why is my eczema flaring up after ten years?

Query: Hello doctor, I was suffering from eczema since childhood. But it was not showing any symptoms for the past ten years. Now, my skin started itching suddenly about a week ago, and my eczema flared up on my arm. And also, my lips started itching, and there are brownish patches on the inner lip. The...  Read Full »

Dr. Shama Naaz

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your attachments (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity) Kindly answer the following questions to help you better; 1) Is there itching over lips? 2) Did you make any changes in your diet? Because some people may...  Read Full »

How to lighten the darkness around my lips?

Query: Hello doctor,I see it is a little dark in color at the ends of my lips, so I applied honey and sugar mix on the dark area. It has now become even darker. So I started using Neutrogena fine fairness cream for lightening the dark color. After applying the cream, my entire skin started becoming red, an...  Read Full »

Dr. John H. Bocachica

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Darkness around the lips is most common in people who are naturally darker and have quite a bit of sun exposure. Nothing darkens the skin as much as sun exposure does. I would recommend that you use sunscreen SPF 30 or higher regularly, regardless of whether it is su...  Read Full »

How to get rid of my dark lips?

Query: Hello doctor, I have very dark lips and I have never taken alcohol or smoked. I do not have diabetes or thyroid.  Read Full »

Dr. Subhash Kashyap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. They are generally normal unless you have any symptoms like itching on them. Get complete hemogram done. Rarely vitamin B12 deficiency may cause it and it is also reflected in megaloblastic anemia. Avoid applying any cosmetic or frequent touching. Apply sunscreen Sun cros...  Read Full »

Why did I get high color retention with semi-permanent lip blush treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, After eight years, I have attempted to have semi-permanent lip blush again. I had this done eight years ago and experienced high color retention problems in parts of my lips. Once settled, small areas had to be washed with saline to reduce the harsh color. As technology and pigments have...  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Any history of Tacroz gel or steroid cream use? Do you have a habit of lip-licking? Lip lick dermatitis, cheilitis, or perioral hyperpigmentation? Do you have dry, flaky lips, cracked or fissures? Any history of atopy or allergies? Do you have a dry skin type? Anu...  Read Full »

Does dark lips in newborn indicate any underlying cause?

Query: Hello doctor, My 1-month-old baby has dark (black) lips and it seems not normal for me. What will I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Bhaisara Baraturam Bhagrati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Dark lips can be because of multiple factors. Commonest being cyanosis. Cyanosis usually occurs in heart disease. But, I would like to know does it increases when the baby cry, if yes then you need to see a doctor to evaluate congenital...  Read Full »

Can Tacrolimus ointment be applied on lips?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from dried, itchy, chappy, dark and extremely ugly lips since I was 10 years old. I am tired of dealing with this. I have tried everything throughout the years. I am 28 years old now, and today my lips are in their worst state. At 13 years of age, I also used to have swoll...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Apart from what you have said I also noticed that you have depigmentation of lips. I suggest you to use a Tacrolimus 0.1 % ointment, twice daily and a moderately potent topical steroid, for e....  Read Full »

I have dark underarms, upper lips and inner thighs. What has to be done?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from dark underarms, dark upper lips, dark under inner thighs. Also I have darkness around mouth and dark lining around lips. Please suggest me effective medications. I have tried home remedies for the same but I was not able to see visible results, please suggest me effe...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your health concerns. Such type of skin discoloration maybe due to a lot of factors. And, these factors may vary for different areas of body. Poor diet and sleep habits. Contraceptive drugs. Substandard hair removal and other creams applied on th...  Read Full »