Q. My finger is swollen and I have poor blood circulation in my hands. What is the treatment?

Dr. Koushik Mukherjee

I have poor blood circulation, and my hands are affected. My finger is swollen, and it hurts me a lot. I have tried using hot water over it, and it has not helped me. What can I do now? I am taking Daflon. But it has not helped me. I have attached my picture. Please see the images of the same finger present in different hands. Please help me.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please say about the duration of the swelling present in the finger. If the finger swelling is present for a few days, it can occur due to an infectious cause. If the finger swelling and pain occur due to cold exposure, then it can be a Raynaud's phenomenon. It is an autoimmune disease. As there is involvement of finger in one side, it can occur due to an autoimmune cause.

Your blood circulation is poor. So, you can do an ultrasound color Doppler of the arterial system of your hand. In the case of vascular insufficiency, vasodilator drugs like Nifedipine can be taken first with low doses. You must exclude an infectious etiology. If there is a pus formation under your nailbed, an antibiotic can be taken. In case of severe pain, you can take Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications like Aceclofenac plus after having food.

|