Q. My finger is swollen and I have poor blood circulation in my hands. What is the treatment?

Dr. Koushik Mukherjee

I have poor blood circulation, and my hands are affected. My finger is swollen, and it hurts me a lot. I have tried using hot water over it, and it has not helped me. What can I do now? I am taking Daflon. But it has not helped me. I have attached my picture. Please see the images of the same finger present in different hands. Please help me.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please say about the duration of the swelling present in the finger. If the finger swelling is present for a few days, it can occur due to an infectious cause. If the finger swelling and pain occur due to cold exposure, then it can be a Raynaud's phenomenon. It is an autoimmune disease. As there is involvement of finger in one side, it can occur due to an autoimmune cause.

Your blood circulation is poor. So, you can do an ultrasound color Doppler of the arterial system of your hand. In the case of vascular insufficiency, vasodilator drugs like Nifedipine can be taken first with low doses. You must exclude an infectious etiology. If there is a pus formation under your nailbed, an antibiotic can be taken. In case of severe pain, you can take Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications like Aceclofenac plus after having food.

| 

My daughter has swollen lymph nodes and positive ANA. Please provide opinion.

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter, 15 years, has swollen lymph nodes. Biopsy done. It is non-malignant. No TB. But ANA has come positive. I would like to share the reports and take your opinion.  Read Full »

Why do my hands swell and cause intense pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I can notice some dots in vision when I heat up fast. My hands shake when I go into attack. I have blue fingers in cold; red swollen fingers and toes when it is hot outside also. I have intense pain everywhere when my hands are swollen. Please help.  Read Full »

Why is there a difficulty in walking on left side in a brain stroke recovered patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31-year-old male, and my weight is 52 kilograms. I am a brain stroke recovered patient. My left side got paralyzed before two years. Now, I am doing all my movements independently. My blood pressure remains low in 100 by 70 mmHg. I face a problem while walking on the left side, in...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now