Q. I heard one of the reasons for psoriasis is lack of Vitamin D. Is it true?

Dr. Meha Malhotra
Published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2019

I am suffering from psoriasis for the past 24 years. I have tried a lot of ointments already. I heard one of the reasons is lack of vitamin D. Is it true? I am 54 years old now.

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Psoriasis is a T-cell mediated autoimmune disorder. What you have heard about lack of Vitamin D as its cause is a myth among patients because nowadays there is a new class of topical drugs available which are analogues of Vitamin D. These reduce the excessive cell proliferation and differentiation seen in the skin cells of a psoriasis patient. A few of these drugs are Calcipotriol, Calcitriol, and Tacalcitol.

Their pros are that they do not cause skin atrophy, but they are useful only for stable and moderate psoriasis. To help you better, I need photographs plus a detailed history with a previous medication you had taken.

Topical Corticosteroids for Skin Conditions

Article Overview: Topical corticosteroids are the cornerstone therapy for many inflammatory skin conditions. So, a judicious use of topical steroids is necessary. This article guides us regarding the proper use of topical steroids in dermatological conditions and its ill effects on the skin and body.  Read Article

What Are Corticosteroids? Corticosteroids are naturally-occurring or synthetic compounds with cyclopentanoperhydrophenanthrene ring. The major naturally occurring corticosteroid is cortisol, which is synthesized by the adrenal cortex. The synthetic corticosteroids are of different types and are used...  Read Article

Airborne Contact Dermatitis (ABCD) Due to Congress Grass

Article Overview: Airborne contact dermatitis is a type of contact dermatitis, which is mainly caused by an allergic response to the plant Congress Grass. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment. Read Article

Allergy Specialist

The causative plant for airborne contact dermatitis is Parthenium hysterophorus (Congress Grass). This plant was accidentally introduced all over the world through contaminated wheat shipments and now it has spread to the nook and corner of the world. Thus, the cases of Parthenium dermatitis have be...  Read Article