Q. I heard one of the reasons for psoriasis is lack of Vitamin D. Is it true?

Dr. Meha Malhotra
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I am suffering from psoriasis for the past 24 years. I have tried a lot of ointments already. I heard one of the reasons is lack of vitamin D. Is it true? I am 54 years old now.

#

Psoriasis is a T-cell mediated autoimmune disorder. What you have heard about lack of Vitamin D as its cause is a myth among patients because nowadays there is a new class of topical drugs available which are analogues of Vitamin D. These reduce the excessive cell proliferation and differentiation seen in the skin cells of a psoriasis patient. A few of these drugs are Calcipotriol, Calcitriol, and Tacalcitol.

Their pros are that they do not cause skin atrophy, but they are useful only for stable and moderate psoriasis. To help you better, I need photographs plus a detailed history with a previous medication you had taken.

|