Q. What should I do to improve my son's concentration in studies?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2020

My 14 year old son cannot concentrate on studies and struggling in school. He is nervous and shaky, especially in school. He scored 65% overall and 85% in his favorite subjects. He reads a lot of story books. We went to a psychiatrist last year and he said that my son is suffering from anxiety and gave Sertraline 50 mg initially, after 15 days increased the dose to 100 mg and after six months, he increased it to 150 mg daily. He was taking 150 mg of Sertraline for the last eight months. His anxiety gone, but there is no improvement in concentration and studies. He feels tired after 10 to 30 minutes of study. So, he struggles a lot in school. He is a quiet and shy boy. Please help him. There is no assessment done yet as he refuses to go for that. He says that he does not need that. He writes very good English and solves many computer science related issues, but his score is very poor in other subjects. I do not understand what is wrong with him. Is it good to give the medicine to one and a half years? Is that affecting his intelligence? In lower grades, he used to score 80% to 90%. So, he himself worried about his poor marks. He wants to study well, but he is not confident to manage his curriculum. What should I do? We always encourage him and do not stress him on marks. His birth was normal and there is no family history as such. Though he afraid of his father as he gets angry, he has a good relation with him. But he clings to me more. He has very good bonding with his elder sister. He also had a counseling session for nervousness. He had an MRI of brain, blood sugar and EEG. Everything was normal.

#

I can understand your concern.

• Considering his age, there are many possible reasons that could cause similar presentation.
  • You have mentioned that he is performing well in some subjects, but poor in another. So, there is a possibility of a specific learning disorder. But, he used to score good in lower standards. So, I do not think that he has learning issues.
  • Anxiety, as he was diagnosed by a psychiatrist too, is the most probable reason for his symptoms. Now, his anxiety is reduced, but concentration issues are there.
  • Sertraline is a good drug for anxiety and depressive symptoms, but even with good doses his symptoms are persisting. So, in my opinion his medicines should be changed.
  • Other SSRI drugs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like Escitalopram or Fluoxetine can be used. The drug will not only control the anxiety, but will help in improving the concentration too.
  • Apart from the above drugs, Vitamin B12 supplements too should be given to him. These supplements will help to improve his concentration. Discuss with his doctor for these drugs and take the treatment with consent.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Anxiety: an Everyday Occurrence or Is There Something More to It?

Article Overview: Anxiety is a minor psychiatric illness that is extremely common. Early recognition of the symptoms helps in advocating the right treatment. This article discusses the common signs and symptoms of anxiety and the available treatment strategies. Read Article

Occasional anxiety is a normal part of life. One might feel anxious in certain situations like being faced with a problem at work, while speaking in the presence of a large audience, before taking an important exam, or while taking an important decision. When this anxiety becomes pervasive enough to...  Read Article

After drinking beer, my brain works fast. How?

Query: Hi doctor, My brain is not working properly. I have very poor concentration power. I am taking a long time to learn any kind of things in comparison to others. When I drink beer, my brain will work very fast for two to three days and I can do much work easily. Please suggest the medicine to improve ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»