Q. My dad had a seizure-like attack after a DBS surgery. Can it be treated?

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

My father had undergone deep brain stimulation surgery for Parkinson's six months ago. I have been visiting his neurosurgeon to fine tune the stimulation. There have been significant changes post surgery. But, his speech is slurred when movements are alright and when speech is fine, his movements become unresponsive. Yesterday while he was sleeping, he was unconscious for half an hour. The doctors confirmed it was epilepsy. But, all the tests were normal. His family has no history of epilepsy. What would you make of this?

#

Parkinsonism is very rarely associated with seizures. If it was diagnosed to be epilepsy, I think he should be started on treatment for the same. I would suggest tablet Valproate 500 mg twice a day.

Get an MRI brain done.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Thanks for your reply. Is there any specific reason associated with it? Since every test turned out to be normal, we are unsure. Also, can this be treated completely or would this occur again? He is taking Levipil 500 right now. What do you think?

#

• Sometimes, it can be cryptogenic (meaning no cause found).
  • If he is taking Levipil (Levetiracetam), please ask him to continue that. The CT brain is not sensitive enough to pick up small infarcts which can cause these seizures. It would be better to get an MRI brain done.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|