Yoga is an ancient Indian science which has gained prominence in the medical field in the last 20 years. Reason for this popularity is, accumulating research evidence and testimonials from patients regarding health benefits. According to Sage Patanjali, who is the author of the yoga text “Patanjali Yoga Sutra”, yoga is a way to control the modifications of mind.
If we just have a look at the eight limbs of “Ashtanga Yoga” it will become clear to us that yoga not only works on mind but also helps in maintaining physical fitness. Eight limbs of yoga are:
- Asana (Physical postures).
- Pranayama (Breathing exercises).
- Pratyahara (Control over sense organs).
- Samadhi (State of thoughtlessness).
Efficacy of Yoga in Management of Several Diseases:
- What has gained prominence in the last few years is asana, pranayama and meditation.
- There are approximately 3000 research papers published in different national and international journals suggesting role of yoga for various ailments.
- Efficacy of yoga has been proved by various studies for diabetes mellitus, hypertension, coronary artery disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, asthma, nasal allergy, non-organic headache, Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, obesity, low back ache, menstrual disorders and even pregnancy related problems.
- Research is being conducted for its role in patients with epilepsy as an add-on treatment.
- It has also been observed that quality of life improves in patients with different forms of cancers.
Though yoga is sometimes considered as equivalent to exercise, meditation and pranayama makes it different from routine exercise, which gives additional benefits. It has also been observed that yoga provides us a safe and effective tool for dealing with the problems related to ageing. Apart from being safe, it is cost-effective and easy to learn. It will not be wrong to say that future of medicine is not just about prescription of drugs by consultant, but also prescription of specific lifestyle to avoid the ailment and to tackle the one existing already. And yoga is going to secure a place in prescription in future.
To know more about asanas and pranayama, consult a yoga specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/yoga-specialist
Last reviewed at: 07.Sep.2018
Please suggest yoga asanas that would improve blood flow to testicles.
Please suggest me the yoga names to improve blood flow to the testicles. I have weak erections, watery semen, and loss of libido. I am taking Pantogem DSR for indigestion and Stalopam plus for stress. My local doctor prescribed these medicines. Read Full »
Dr. Shakti Mishra
Welcome to icliniq.com.
Continue with the prescribed medication. Along with that meditation, exercises, and yoga can help improve your condition.
Deep breathing, inhalation through nose and exhalation through the mouth, improves blood circulation.
Suryanamaskar is the most efficient form ...
Read Full »