Q. Please explain the presentation of DVT.

This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I am an 18 year old healthy female. All day today, I have had sharp pain in one tiny spot on my left hand. There is a tiny red mark that looks like a scratch, but it is not. It is not warm, but the pain is also spreading to my arm. I have also had the same type of pain in both my legs and my foot for a couple weeks now, but no veins or redness are there. I have anxiety which makes me always think the worst. I am scared that I have DVT and that any minute now I am going to drop dead. Please give some suggestions as to what this might be. Could it be something with muscles or nerves? Should I go to a hospital? Any information would help. Thank you.

#

• DVT - deep vein thrombosis classically presents as sharp, unilateral limb pain with swelling, redness and extreme pain especially if someone tries to squeeze it.
  • What you are explaining here is neuropathic pain. Your BMI is not low, but is on the lower side of the range (19-24).
  • I would be interested in checking for the following.

1. Vitamin B12 deficiency, hyperthyroidism, thiamine level and CBC (complete blood count).
2. If the above are negative, then nerve conduction study or electromyography (EMG) of the affected hand.

It would depend upon the blood work. It does not appear to be a DVT from the information provided.

Revert back with the report to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Deep Vein Thrombosis - Causes, Prevention, Symptoms and Treatments

Article Overview: DVT causes blood to clot in the veins of the legs. These clots can break off and occlude the arteries of the lungs and be fatal. This can be treated in time to prevent dire consequences. Read Article

Dr. Saurabh Joshi
Vascular Surgeon

What Is Deep Vein Thrombosis? This is a condition in which blood clots in the deep veins of the legs and causes leg swelling, pain, and redness. This clot can also break off and travel up the veins and lodge in the lungs causing a pulmonary embolism. What Are the Symptoms of DVT? Sudden onset o...  Read Article

I have a pinching pain in my arm, shoulder, palms and fingers. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, From the last two months, I have a pinching and wound-like pain in my left upper arm and shoulder. I also feel pain in my palm and fingers while bending, stretching or gripping.  Read Full »