Q. Can hypothyroidism cause intermittent palpitations?

Dr. Salam Salloum

I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one month. I feel my heart is beating fast and loud intermittently.

#

Please be advised that a normal ECG while you do not have the palpitation feeling, is not diagnostic of the palpitation. You need to have a cardiac monitor. If the palpitation happens every day, then a 24 hours cardiac monitor should pick them up. If they happen every 2 to 3 days, then you need a 72 hours monitor, then the cardiologist can look at the ECG at the time when the palpitation happened. It might be that you are just feeling the normal heart beats stronger. However, it still needs checking.

|