Q. MRI says degenerative changes seen. Is any treatment required?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

My father whose age is 48 years, got a back pain a month ago. So, we consulted a local doctor. He suggested an MRI test. We did that and his report says 'degenerative changes affecting lumbar spine with left para-central disc bulges with posterior annual tear at L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels producing mild compromise of left lateral recesses with mild extradural compression over thecal sac'. I want to ask you if he will be alright in a few days after treatment or anything new he will have to do.

#

Regarding your concern, I would explain that these MRI findings are indicative of chronic degeneration of the vertebral column. There is no need for surgery. Nothing serious is going on.

I would just recommend taking painkillers, avoiding prolonged sitting or standing up position, and weightlifting.

A lumbar brace can help too, coupled with physiotherapy.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|