Q. What should I do to prevent my spine problem from worsening?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 22, 2022

I am suffering from pain in my lower back. There is a pain in my left arm, leg and foot also. I got my MRI done. The MRI of lumbar spine reads as follows: Exaggerated lumbar curvature, likely due to muscle spasm. End plate Schmorl nodes are seen at D11-12, D12-L1, L1-2, L2-3 and L3-4 levels. Disc space narrowing is seen at D11-12 and D12-L1 level. Mild posterior disc bulges are seen at D11-12 and D12-L1 causing minimal thecal sac indentation. As per the doctor, it is normal. I want to get a second opinion for the same. Please suggest.

#

I went through your post. You have a degenerative disk disease although not serious enough to cause focal deficit at present but, there is minimal thecal sac indentation. I would suggest:

1) Weight reduction. Your BMI (body mass index) is high which makes you a high-risk candidate for PIVD (prolapsed intervertebral disc). If you will control your weight and lower the BMI to around 22 to 23, we can stop the progression of degeneration.

2) Take Pregabalin 75 mg once a day preferably sustained release at bedtime and Methylcobalamin supplements.

Thank you for your reply,

Please go through the complete report that I have attached and suggest if anything else is to be done.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You had described the report well. So, there is nothing new. However, let me tell you that lifting heavy objects needs to be avoided.

|