iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologydelayed conceptionI am pregnant after 5 years. Is bed rest essential for me?

I have conceived after trying for five years. Should I be on bed rest?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At July 16, 2017
Reviewed AtDecember 20, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 34 year old female in the seventh week of pregnancy. I have conceived five years after we started trying for a baby. My blood, urine, and ultrasound test results are normal. But, my doctor has advised me a complete bed rest till the 12th week. Could you please comment? Is bed rest essential?

Answered by Dr. Balakrishnan R


Welcome to icliniq.com.

There is a big misconception in the minds of many patients and sadly some doctors too, that rest is going to help pregnancy a lot. Let me explain. I do not see any risk factors in you. The age of 34 years is not too high. We do advise complete bed rest if you had bleeding, severe pain, fever, infection, history of cervical insufficiency or a low lying placenta. But, you mention that your reports were normal. Pregnancy is not a disease. It is a physiological condition of the body. So, why rest when you can enjoy your pregnancy. The baby is attached to the uterus by chemical and hormonal means. It is not attached with glue for it to break if you cough, sneeze or strain in any way. Only an infection or directly traumatizing the embryo can cause it to dislodge from the uterus. Even after an assisted reproduction, we do not ask mothers to rest. They can go back home walking. In pregnancy, mother's blood has a tendency to clot or thicken due to the changes in the coagulation profile. So, we never ask mothers to rest. This can cause thrombosis in the leg veins which can embolize to the lungs or brain. The only way to avoid it is to keep moving your legs or keep exercising. Some precautions to take:

  1. Avoid people with respiratory infections and fever.
  2. Drink plenty of water. Keep passing urine frequently.
  3. Avoid using public toilets.
  4. Avoid sex. It can cause infections.
  5. Have lots of nutritious food and stay happy.

Hope I have been of help to you. All the best.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Balakrishnan R
Dr. Balakrishnan R

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy